Window Camera

teabreak

Reactions
Please can someone explain how the window camera works?
I have it moving around my scene and want to capture the video from it using OBS studio.
The problem is OBS always seems to capture the whole VAM screen and not just the output from the window camera. Camera is definitely turned on and have tried it with mirror to desktop ticked and not ticked. Doesn't seem to make any difference.
How can I record just what the camera sees?
Or have I misunderstood what it is supposed to be for?

@ MacGruber But does that work in a Animated VR Scene to rotate the window camera view then with it ?

I noticed in your Videos it is entire missing the Camera Path creation process.
It continues the moment it is already done at 07:52 .
So how do you generate the path here?

Actually i have never ever seen any scene in VAM where i see the Scenery from the moving window camera.

All i get back asking for such workflow in the "camera recorder plugin" is "Desktop Only - Since it could cause nausea to Some..."
while Millions people are used to VR and are Gaming VR Games with weirdest camera movings in daily basis.

All VR scenes i know in VAM are static, one camera angle shot while it would be so more cinematic to have a Scene using the Window camera.

And if it works, can i switch camera angles in a "Scene" recording like it is in a Movie ?
And how would i record the several Window Camera Angles then ?

Is there a VR Scene Movie editor Plugin i can add several generated Window Camera Clips and combine them into one animated Scene?

Last edited:
The WindowCamera is intended for video recording. Not for player movement.

In VR you need position and rotation head tracking, its not a static camera like a video. Without that you get motion sick real quick, with the rotation being the most important. A few seconds can already be enough to feel dizzy.

If you want to make a "rollercoaster ride" scene, check out AcidBubbles "Embody" plugin, or the predecessor "Passenger". Just put it on a Person (which the player can possess) or put it on an "Empty" atom. Then animate the head of the character (or the Empty atom) with whatever method you like. You can use any of the normal animation solutions like VaM's own Animation/Mocap system, AnimationPattern, Timeline plugin, IdlePoser plugin, etc.

A scene using Passenger plugin is for example my DoubleTrouble scene. In that scene you can possess the guy in the chair and the girls can tilt back the chair while you are in it.

I noticed in your Videos it is entire missing the Camera Path creation process.
It continues the moment it is already done at 07:52 .
So how do you generate the path here?
The WindowCamera is just an atom, like anything else in VaM. That means you can animate it like anything else. You can use VaM's own Animation/Mocap system, AnimationPattern, Timeline plugin, IdlePoser plugin, etc. Except for IdlePoser there should be plenty of animation tutorials around.

Any way to capture video for VR, either a 180 or a 360 stereo video? I have some scenes I'd like to capture on video to take with me on my Quest 2.

@
btacoses

Not with Windows Camera but with the Plugin Render to VR https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/rendertovr-golden-pack.6681/

@MCGruber
Thx a lot for your reply / answers :)
Sry for the late Feedback ;)
@Lione I'm trying to use the windows camera to create more fluid cinematic motion in a scene I'm working on too. I realize it was not intended to be used this way, because currently there isn't a way to go into the display control view remotely. The only way to use the display control view is to press M or be using vr and desktop mode simultaneously. I've been able to make some pretty neat camera movements around my scene, but like I said there is no trigger that shows you the display control view; pressing M is the only way. I have read about using a person atom or empties with the plugin to simulate the same effect. I haven't tried that, but the window cam is just so easy to use because you have the "show in hud" option(I think it's called something different) It allows you to move the camera, whist having an open menu(so animating or posing ect.) and also see what the camera is looking at. I also noticed that the window camera has another atom the works together with it, and that is the display control. It shows up in the atom menu whenever I start messing with the window cam. It's basically a little tv screen that mirrors what the window camera is viewing. When you press M, something snaps your position to the front of the display control atom. That is how you are able to see everything the camera sees, but full screen. So, technically if you wanted to get crazy you could create an atom and position it in front of the display control atom and make it possessable.

Back
Top Bottom