Question Why Is There Clipping?

leviathan0999

Reactions
Patreon
leviathan0999
I was trying out a new clothing item a little while ago -- AWWalker's excellent men's briefs -- and found, naturally, that the character's pubic hair just flowed right through the briefs, even as his boner was contained by them.

Like the guy who always wants to bet on the chariot race in "Ben Hur" because he's convinced the fellow who falls off his chariot will manage to hang on and win this time, I tried the Pube Clipping Reducer plugin, which we all know is dead, and even, in desperation, the Nipple Clipping Reducer, which I think was broken by a recent VaM update, all, of course, to no avail.

And I started thinking that "No Clipping" ought to be a standard option in the "Adjustments" customizing tab for all clothing: a simple check-box, and no more hair or nipples magically phasing through the fabric of clothing... when the question occurred to me: why is that possible in the first place? Properly-made clothing items don't allow fingers, limbs, breasts or erect or flaccid penii to protrude through their materials. That kind of impermeability is clearly part of the models.

So why do nipples and pubes have the capacity for clipping? Is there some use-case I'm not aware of that makes use this? Is there some desirable effect of these two categories transcending the laws of physics?

I'm just really asking the question. I can't imagine a circumstance in which someone looks at a character with nipples and body hair poking out through their clothing, and smiles in satisfaction, because that's exactly how they want it to look.

Hairs are particles, it's a different beast from clothing or bodies. That's why you can't grab hair like you can clothing or a body. I don't know the technical details, that's pretty much all I know.

Nipples can clip because they can be very thin and pronounced. A collision mesh has, as you guessed, lots of holes, and nipples can poke through unless the clothing or body part has too wide a mesh in that area. Even if the mesh is tight, enough pressure and sharp angles can still pass through, and is also influenced by the computing needs to handle that interaction sufficiently well.

Early on I got rid of pubic hair as hair items, and went completely with using pubic hair textures. Sure, it's not the same if your face is really close to it, but:
  • No FPS hits for using hair cycles (sim), it's a texture
  • No clipping ever
  • No weird sim flow like it's under water
  • Stays with the person preset if you change the hair

Upvote 0
I wish there were some way to auto-mask the hair if its covered in clothing item. Maybe someone can make a plugin for this...

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom