Question Why does the joint nodes ends up a mile away from the joints

Babell99

Reactions
Hi guys,

I am pretty deep with the animations now. I do understand mostly everything but one thing that I cannot understand is the reason why the joint nodes commonly can be pulled a mile away from the node itself. It does make finding the node back extremely cumbersome with no visible positive values.

Example: The joint node of the left knee should be on the left knee. If you try to move the knee and it is blocked physically by another object, why the nodes simply stop moving?

Briefly, anyone understood why the joint nodes are not locked directly on the joint?

that has to do with your "hold spring" in the joint physics.

the distance between joint and control node indicates the "tension on the spring"

i believe there is a free plugin to relocate the control node position to be coincidental with the joint (or at least moreso)

Upvote 0
that has to do with your "hold spring" in the joint physics.

the distance between joint and control node indicates the "tension on the spring"

i believe there is a free plugin to relocate the control node position to be coincidental with the joint (or at least moreso)

mm interesting. I also notice that some character had their "Control" nodes from them as well in some scene. I guess it is for the same reason?

If someone knows who to relocate those, it would be awesome. I did not fin the mod you were talking about.

Upvote 0
mm interesting. I also notice that some character had their "Control" nodes from them as well in some scene. I guess it is for the same reason?

If someone knows who to relocate those, it would be awesome. I did not fin the mod you were talking about.

full disclosure: i have not used or tested this plugin, so i'm not certain it will do what you desire

Upvote 0
To understand how body part nodes move, check out the "Understanding the person atom rig" topic in the bottom half of this page from the wiki.

Generally, if you're pulling a node a long way from it's body part, it's because other nodes are preventing the body part from moving, and you're better off adjusting them than getting extreme with the one you're trying to move. It's MUCH easier to pose models with fewer nodes enabled. On the "control & physics 2" tab are several buttons to set different configurations of nodes on and off. I like to use "Key joints: control all" before I start working on a pose. That turns head, chest, hip, hands and feet on, and everything else off. Once you have to model in roughly the right position, you may want to turn on other nodes for fine adjustments. But the fewer nodes that are on, the easier things are to work with.

The person root control is different. It's not on a spring, and can be positioned anywhere. Check the "detach person root control" box under "control&physics 1" of the person control to reposition it without moving the model.
1648392447489.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To understand how body part nodes move, check out the "Understanding the person atom rig" topic in the bottom half of this page from the wiki.

Generally, if you're pulling a node a long way from it's body part, it's because other nodes are preventing the body part from moving, and you're better off adjusting them than getting extreme with the one you're trying to move. It's MUCH easier to pose models with fewer nodes enabled. On the "control & physics 2" tab are several buttons to set different configurations of nodes on and off. I like to use "Key joints: control all" before I start working on a pose. That turns head, chest, hip, hands and feet on, and everything else off. Once you have to model in roughly the right position, you may want to turn on other nodes for fine adjustments. But the fewer nodes that are on, the easier things are to work with.

The person root control is different. It's not on a spring, and can be positioned anywhere. Check the "detach person root control" box under "control&physics 1" of the person control to reposition it without moving the model. View attachment 108882

VERY instructive. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you very much for your help!!!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom