Where to put/load downloaded environments

garibaldi18

Reactions
I downloaded some environments via discord and was excited to try them. They are currently in Custom --> Assets folder, because I see some other files that look like environments there. But when I go to load (or "Add") the environments in VAM, the only options are the default 5 or 6. Where should I put them, or how can I access them. Thanks again.

Yes, the right folder to put environments in is: (VAMfolder)/Custom/Assets/...
The file type of those assets should be (assetname).assetbundle (or .scene for some old assets).
You can create subfolders in this 'Asset' folder. First make sure, your file has the right file ending and/or if it is hiding in a subfolder.
If this doesn't help, are those downloaded assets comes in a compressed .var file? those files have to go to (VAMfolder)/AddonPackages/...
Assets have to be loaded in the following way: Go to "Add", then go to the "miscellaneous" tab (don't know it exactly from memory) and add an Custom Unity Asset. Chose this atom by selecting it and load the asset there.
Sorry, if you already know all of this, but we have to make sure if it is this or a more severe issue.

Thanks, TToby, for your reply. I was able to figure it out. Everything was in the right folder. I didn't realize that you needed to load the environments as a Custom Unity Asset rather than an Environment. And then I had to go to another Tab to actually load it, and load it again. It's super confusing and non-intuitive. Hopefully it will make more sense in a future version. It works now, though! The environments look great! Thanks again.

No problem, you are welcome. It IS indeed a bit complicated, but from a programmers point of view it is very logical. Lights, switches, sound sources, build in furniture, Unity assets, additional persons, etc. are so called Atoms. You have to add one of those Atoms to a scene, select it and there you have all the options tabs. Custom Unity Assets were added to VaM relatively late in the development process. So it is only one of all those many different Atoms. VaM has a steep learning curve, but this is because it is a sandbox app. You have so much options and tools, you can almost create everything you want. Nevertheless, once it is ready for the mass market, it really needs a big facelifting.

Back
Top Bottom