Question Where are the scene files located in Windows Explorer?

vsilvv

Reactions
I'm struggling so hard to make heads or tails of the in-game browser. I can't create folders in it, so naturally I went into the Windows Explorer to organize my scenes that way, but I can't find any of the scenes in there either.

My saves/scenes/meshedVR folder contains nothing but "default.json" and "default.jpg". There are no other files in that entire path. But in the scenes browser in-game, every scene lists "saves/scenes" as its location when I mouse over it. There's nothing there in the Explorer.

The "AddonPackages" folder contains a lot of .var files that seem to share scene titles, but also a lot of other things which I assume are just dependencies. (I'm half-literate on how this whole thing works. It's a lot to figure out.) I tried to move some of these into the saves/scenes folder but they weren't openable in-game as scenes. If I'm not mistaken, scenes are supposed to be .json files, right?

Where are these scenes located?

EDIT: It's beginning to look like what I want to do (arrange scenes into folders) is actually impossible without, for some reason, manually saving copies of each scene. I hope VAM2 features some really heavy UI improvements, because the current version's browser is absolutely abysmal.

Last edited:
If you open a VAR - which you can with your application for compressed files - the structure inside is the same as VaM's folder. When you hover the mouse the scenes inside those VARs will be something like creator.myscene.1.var:/Saves/scene/myscene.json, while your local files would not have the VAR reference.

You can't make folders, but you can use a plugin called BrowserAssist that gives you more options than the default scene browser. No folders available, but you can add tags to make them filterable.
It's not advised to make subfolders in AddonsPackages unless you plan on maintaining it, as you will likely end up with duplicate content. That structure is not reflected into VaM, so it's mainly a file managing preference outside VaM.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom