VAMStory
Just wanted to express my gratitude for the amazing plugin you've made.
Thank you.

The only thing i would ask is if it's possible to smooth out the "Lock UI to Camera" option.
i had the min/max set so that the dialog would always be attached to the bottom of the screen. But it does not move smoothly, like it's in grid snap mode or it's just rounding the coordinates.
This isn't a problem in desktop mode since if i plan to use fixed camera positions with it but i worry about it in VR.
Though i see above you already talked about this being a bad idea so i understand.

Thanks again.

Thanks to you! I'm glad you enjoy it :)

Yup you read right, I'm not gonna do smoothing or a "lock" feature on the camera. I'm even gonna make at some point a "follow grace period" option that will only move the UI after a certain amount of time out of screen to avoid it updating that fast.

You have an "unsmooth" follow, because you might just be parenting it to the camera. And the way the system works, it makes not enough updates to properly "stick" the atom to the camera. You might have to find a plugin that perfectly parent the atom and does not do a "late" update.

I think you can find better ways to be sure that the UI is at the spot you need, sticking it to the face of the player is not the solution :)

Thanks for the latest update, it's getting better and better!

Anyway, group renaming is somehow broken:

1. new scene
2. add Story to an empty
3. open Custom UI, go immediately into Group Options
4. rename the Group
5. go back to Group Actions, type some text, Test Current Group -> nothing happens, also not when triggering from outside

If its not clear, see the video:

I want to give you and the audience some examples of what I am doing with it ;)

First video is a typical storyline, in the second one I have abused the Plugin not to tell a story, but showcasing a model:

Really awesome plugin.

I have a question regarding all these updates. I noticed with the last big UI update I had to remove the plugin from my character atom and re-add it to see the new UI. This wasn't a problem at the time, but I'm wondering if I need to do the same to benefit from all the new changes (especially the performance one). Would be a pain to have to recreate the dialogue and triggers again. Thanks!

Really awesome plugin.

I have a question regarding all these updates. I noticed with the last big UI update I had to remove the plugin from my character atom and re-add it to see the new UI. This wasn't a problem at the time, but I'm wondering if I need to do the same to benefit from all the new changes (especially the performance one). Would be a pain to have to recreate the dialogue and triggers again. Thanks!
You shouldn't need to remove the plugin at all. There are a couple of ways to update a scene you are building:

The easiest is to simply remove any old versions of VAMStory.var and VAM will automatically use the latest version.

Alternatively you can also open your scene.json in a text editor, search for "hazmhox.vamstory." and replace the number after it with the latest version number e.g. do a find / replace of hazmhox.vamstory.7 with hazmhox.vamstory.8.

Yup! You might have did a wrong "update" process, check this out to prevent any future issues with your plugins (especially mines who often have assetbundles linked to them) : https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/a-guide-to-updating-vars-and-plugins.27059/

Also, don't forget you have the backup system. If you ever had to remove the plugin (because of a bug for instance), you can backup with the previous version, update, and restore the backup.

@M_G
is it possible you make a group option for triggers so in each dialog trigger tab the triggers was paste in " check "or " uncheck " status so you dont need creat the triggers in every dialog new? i think so you can change background or text colors by check or uncheck in dialog triggers an dont need creat the same trigger again again and again. I creat in this time a scene i change the colors often and use state machine so i only need one trigger but i need often creat the trigger ^^!

( side note : know that reviews are not meant to ask questions, discussion is ;) )

I kind of don't really get what you're saying.
I'm trying to summarize what you do : You often change colors at every dialog, and you'd want a way to "not" have to do that everytime.

If you're doing it over and over, and have to edit several triggers everytime, you might miss something in the UI, or you're doing it wrong. Possible solutions:
  • Use "copy" > create dialog A, set your triggers > create dialog B, copy dialog A, edit your triggers
  • If you have several triggers to change the settings of VAMS, use tools at your disposal : VAMStoryDirector.
    • Create a VAMStoryDirector
    • Create a new trigger, let's call it "ColorsCharacterA", set your actions
    • Create a new trigger, let's call it "ColorsCharacterB", set your actions
    • In VAMStory, at every dialog that needs change > call either "ColorsCharacterA" or "ColorsCharacterB" on VAMStoryDirector
    • With the setup > huge gain of time, you only need to edit VAMSD if you need to do some changes, and you only need a single "call" per dialog.

I tried to think as "wisely" as I could the whole story system, you should have all the tools you need to avoid inefficient copy/paste :)

I'll do a tutorial about VAMSD with what I'm saying here, it might help people!

hazmhox updated VAMStory with a new update entry:

Bug fixes and features

VAMStory
  • Fixed text not being transfered properly when using the transfer feature
  • Added an alert after the transfer like VAMStoryActions

VAMStoryActions
  • Added "Text options" tab to organize options a bit more due to new options
  • Renamed "Color/material options" to "Appearance options"
  • Added line height option
  • Added padding options
  • Optimized some code
  • Refactored the whole UI to work with a single...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Bug fixes and features

VAMStory
  • Added Text options tab to organize options a bit more due to new options
  • Renamed Color/material options to Appearance options
  • Added padding options

VAMStoryActions
  • Removed value limit on Buttons area width to allow wider side by side setups.
  • Updated name cleaning function

VAMStoryDirector
  • Refactored the whole UI to work with a single "proxy" UI like...

Hotfix!

My bad, I had a wrong position on the assets, I had to fix it quickly! I hope you'll pardon me ;)

VAMStoryActions
  • Update the prefab UI to have the buttons centered based on the atom origin (this might slightly move the original position of your standalone "buttons walls", you might want to check your scenes)
  • Fixed UI not being restored properly in some situations when stealing the panel from VAMStory

Features & QoL

General
  • Re-integrated the best fonts of VAMCUI

VAMStoryActions
  • Added action types: Button, Toggle, Toggle Button and Slider
  • Added copy buttons in Toggles to be able to transfer quickly the on or off actions (and create efficiently a set of action for both states)
  • Added "move" buttons for the actions ( you can order up and down your actions )
  • Added "Center" option for the UI alignment for Captain...

UI bug:
If this wasn't spotted before and if it's possible to fix even, on Actions when you have a Toggle in one action and the next action is a Toggle button, the "Off triggers" buttons go on top of the "Label Off" area.

In this case it's the opposite, action 0 is a toggle button and action 1 is a toggle.
Actions-Toggle-UI.png

WHAT THE HELL!
Why are you breaking my buttons all the time x'D

(Gonna look at that asap!)

Hi, @hazmhox I must say that I really like your plugin. I have a menu now, with sub menus, everything. I still have a minor nice-to-have feature to request: could you add in Vam Story -> Global Options -> UI Alignment also "CENTER" as an option (next to Left and Right)? I am displaying text in front of the character, and I'd like the text to always show on the center of the character if possible...

And maybe have a global option where you can set the width of the vamstory window? Right now lines are being broken into new lines, but I'd like to have a bigger window so that it doesn't happen. With the VAMActions plugin you could set the UI width, but in VAM Story I can't find this option.
Ok I found how to solve this, by decreasing the font size, and increasing the UI Size :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom