VAMStory
It's not a bad idea, but that would mean you could loop back to the answer phase everytime.
Not all RPGs do that (some allow to re-do the answer to read it again).

I could have an additional trigger to disable answer 1 / 2 / 3 if that could help ?

hazmhox updated VAMStory with a new update entry:

Features, Bug fixes, QoLs

General
  • Added a backup system for both VAMStory and VAMStoryActions.
    Auto-saves will happen every 15 minutes for VAMStory.
    Auto-saves will happen every 20 minutes for VAMStoryActions
    Critical saves will be done before every deletion.
    A manual save can be done in the global options.
    ℹ This could be used as a preset mechanism if you'd like... by renaming the file and storing it somewhere and restoring it whenever you want.

[ATTACH...

Read the rest of this update entry...

It's not a bad idea, but that would mean you could loop back to the answer phase everytime.
Not all RPGs do that (some allow to re-do the answer to read it again).

I could have an additional trigger to disable answer 1 / 2 / 3 if that could help ?
That would be great! But would that also mean that if you had:

Answer 1
Answer 2
Answer 3

And Answer 2 was clicked, and after that disabled with a trigger, that now the next time this group would be run it would look like:

Answer 1
Answer 3

Instead of

Answer 1
[ empty box where Answer 2 would be ]
Answer 3.

?

The latter would not look so great, but I don't know if the former is a lot of code.

The use case of this would be a dialogue, where you, can try out some lines on a girl and see how she reacts. I'm basically abusing your story system to do the following:

* You are a person who job interviews a girl. So you play the role of the interviewer. The girl answers the questions. So the "Answer" boxes in the VAMStory boxes, are basically questions for the girl. So that's why there is multiple "Answer" buttons to try out. (Answer 1 = "What are your hobbies?", Answer 2 = "Why do you think you are qualified?", Answer 3 = "I'm done asking questions". So clicking on answer 1 or answer 2, would allow it to be disabled for the next round of questions. I hope you catch my drift.

Last edited:
In many systems like Skyrim the answers go a darker colour but are still available if they had been already clicked, maybe a system to do that via trigger would be easier? Hard to make it universal, but maybe have a "darkness factor" or fade amount as a global option for how much to darken a chosen answer?

@hazmhox
UI problem if not caught yet - can't see the list in Group options:

Group actions.png

@pinosante
Back to the answers topic, there's a collection of trigger functions with "Don't use these below" where you could address that answer and change the text after clicking it, even disable the "on click" trigger after clicking it. There's a "Don't use" sign, but you know, YOLO :LOL:

@pinosante I thought again of what I was saying the other night, and the trigger does not work.
Since you would need to trigger it prior to displaying the group, you would have to be able to keep track of the answered questions already. You could only do that with some logic. This could only be possible if you'd use something like LogicBricks and trigger a logic on group show.

I catch your drift indeed, but this is some kind of "über advanced use" of VAMStory I did not have in mind initially... since, let's be honest: it is just "visual design nitpicking". ( as I was mentionning, not all games disable the answers on the fly, you often have the ability to re-read them ).

And to get on the subject of what @Spacedog suggests and a possible suggestion I had in mind yesterday night while I was eating: if I'd handle that natively, I would have to keep track of answered questions for every single group during runtime. I also would have to handle a story reset system that would completely "forget" these states so that you could restart the scene from scratch when the scene ends. This would also mean an additional option to make this active or not per answer, per group.

I'm not saying no... this could be handy (since well, you have the idea of making something based on that)... but I prefer to first see how people making use of VAMS and see if the plugin gets used in general before diving into really specific advanced features like that.

@atani 's suggestion is actually good. "My don't use these below" is meant to warn "new users". But you could technically simply switch the group answer toggle on and off prior to displaying the group... the "Dial_0-AnswerXEnabled" things.

BUT, this updates the story itself. Which means you would have to reset every single runtime "change" that could have happened to the answers when you reset the story.

This is an alternative solution while I'm considering diving into advanced features :)
The incoming VAMStoryDirector could help with stuffs like these (full resets, specific toggles etc)

@atani well! not a bug of mine per say :p meshed did not handle the position of popups, the list always displays below it. I thought since I always makes scrollables (with the slider on top) now that it would be good enough... but I guess not! : D
I'll have to put my usual "useless" spacer below then :p

@hazmhox I agree. I’m just floating ideas / use cases and respect the prioritizing you do while developing. Very inspiring (in my own projects I can get bogged down by details). I’ll toy around with what is available.

Just gave the combo of Story&Actions a first trial, awesome addition once you get a hang of this 👍🏻

I see the same UI glitch in group options (dropdown for actions glitches) like @atani.
And, of course, another request: in Story actions, can we also have „action groups „?
If I want a different „trigger wall“, I have to apply another instance of Storyactions. Would be nice to just call another action group.
TIS

@pinosante thank you for understanding!

@Saint66 Spacedog told me the same thing, and I explained him that my initial goal was to make "standalone panels" in the scene. And I extended that to VAMS to make them "stealable" by a group.

It is pretty much the same to create a couple of atoms and hide them, than creating several groups and swap them.
There are a couple of things which makes me think I prefer the atom solution :
  • Backwards compatibility ( If I'd change it with groups now, it would break the scenes... you could argue it's been released yesterday, but well :p )
  • Simplicity: I want to keep this action system neat and simple. You add the plugin, click three times, bam you have 3 buttons. No need to go into groups and things like that.
  • Standalone mode would have to handle the groups ( with a pagination system or trigger system ).
  • You can grab the atom and edit the actions without thinking too much ( which goes under the "simplicity" argument ).
  • Group means something: you will have people that at some point will ask for "per group" appearance customization. This would make the code way more complex than it needs compared to a simple atom.
If it is a copy/paste, then the backup system can help you to restore another panel in the scene to a new one and edit them :)

I hope you understand that sometimes, I prefer to keep my design philosophy due to the way I'm seeing scene authoring/scripting. Before thinking of the community... most of my plugins are made to cover my needs and how I "see" VaM's scene creation process :3

@pinosante thank you for understanding!

@Saint66 Spacedog told me the same thing, and I explained him that my initial goal was to make "standalone panels" in the scene. And I extended that to VAMS to make them "stealable" by a group.

It is pretty much the same to create a couple of atoms and hide them, than creating several groups and swap them.
There are a couple of things which makes me think I prefer the atom solution :
  • Backwards compatibility ( If I'd change it with groups now, it would break the scenes... you could argue it's been released yesterday, but well :p )
  • Simplicity: I want to keep this action system neat and simple. You add the plugin, click three times, bam you have 3 buttons. No need to go into groups and things like that.
  • Standalone mode would have to handle the groups ( with a pagination system or trigger system ).
  • You can grab the atom and edit the actions without thinking too much ( which goes under the "simplicity" argument ).
  • Group means something: you will have people that at some point will ask for "per group" appearance customization. This would make the code way more complex than it needs compared to a simple atom.
If it is a copy/paste, then the backup system can help you to restore another panel in the scene to a new one and edit them :)

I hope you understand that sometimes, I prefer to keep my design philosophy due to the way I'm seeing scene authoring/scripting. Before thinking of the community... most of my plugins are made to cover my needs and how I "see" VaM's scene creation process :3
Ok, reasonable explanations. Its no biggie anyway adding some more instances. And thanks for the backup system btw, awesome ;)

VAMStoryDirector & Bug fixes

‼ ‼ ‼ KNOW BUG: Thanks to @Spacedog , we discovered a critical bug which could make you lose all the datas from all plugins ( VAMStory, VAMStoryActions or VAMStoryDirector ).

This only happens if you create a story, actions or use director, putting the empty atom to "off" and saving the scene.
The scene will reload properly, but if you keep the atom off, and save the scene again, the hidden empties with the VAMStory plugins on them will lose all data...

What do you think of the option to attach the text box to the screen (like vamx catalog)? This would ensure that the player would see the text regardless of the camera's position (like in VamOverlays). This could be important especially if there is the option of timed dialogues. For example, in the VamS demo scene, if I was in possession mode of one of the girls, I could still see the text without having to turn my head.

What do you think of the option to attach the text box to the screen (like vamx catalog)? This would ensure that the player would see the text regardless of the camera's position (like in VamOverlays). This could be important especially if there is the option of timed dialogues. For example, in the VamS demo scene, if I was in possession mode of one of the girls, I could still see the text without having to turn my head.

You have the follow option. Follow never let's VAMStory out of the player's screen view (based on your settings).

I was just gonna say it wont load and was wanting a super controller, then i saw someone else had that issue and you told them to update and i just did and it works! yay!

I was just gonna say it wont load and was wanting a super controller, then i saw someone else had that issue and you told them to update and i just did and it works! yay!

I love ya! You're a nice person! You read : D

I love ya! You're a nice person! You read : D
haha yes i do! Im kinda new to this but im getting the hang of it! I just realized you made alot of things i've been trying out and learning with! Im about to try the photo thing you made a post about , i have like thousands of pics of myself so that should be a fun experiment! i just played with this plugin and omg im excited! thanks!!

Critical bug fix and quick QoL

This bug woke me up at 6 in the morning, so... I fixed it :]

General
  • Fixed the loading issue occuring when you put an atom if off state, reloaded the scene, the saved it again with the atom still off (data was lost). The async load is properly initialized during the init phase of the plugin. This is valid for all plugins of VAMStory.

VAMStoryActions
  • Moved the style button to the colors/material panel just like VAMStory...

Sorry, I didn't check all the plugin options before posting the suggestion. Thanks for answering.
Another option that you might like is to make the text box follow the camera all the time (not just when the text leaves the screen). This would avoid the text box warps and give the feeling that the text is part of the screen canvas (like in renpy).

Suggested already, refused already : )

I'm working a lot on VR feeling and UX, and I think it's a really bad pratice to have something stuck (perfectly still at a specific position and following the rotation) on the player's head besides a potential HUD, story telling ornements or gameplay hints (highlights, targets... etc...).

It's even worse from the perspective of an interactable system (your head always kinda moves, and the interactable parts can suddenly move out of focus of the line trace of your VR hands because of your head movements).

I will not bring features inducing bad VR implementations habits.

That said! If you still want to go down that road... you have several ways to do it by yourself with some plugins available on the hub (or manually). You can simply never save a position for VAMStory... it will prevent it from moving after being attached :)

Suggested already, refused already : )

I'm working a lot on VR feeling and UX, and I think it's a really bad pratice to have something stuck (perfectly still at a specific position and following the rotation) on the player's head besides a potential HUD, story telling ornements or gameplay hints (highlights, targets... etc...).

It's even worse from the perspective of an interactable system (your head always kinda moves, and the interactable parts can suddenly move out of focus of the line trace of your VR hands because of your head movements).

I will not bring features inducing bad VR implementations habits.

Oops, I deleted my post because I noticed I could almost do it by playing with the options on VAMS. (I did not see that you had answered)
If someone already suggested I hope it wasn't on this thread and I'm not making you repeat answers needlessly (I did a quick read and didn't notice it, sorry if that was the case).

Ty for answering, I don't have a VR set and was failing to consider it from a VR user perspective. I understand now and I think your decision of not implementing it is for the best.

That said! If you still want to go down that road... you have several ways to do it by yourself with some plugins available on the hub (or manually). You can simply never save a position for VAMStory... it will prevent it from moving after being attached :)

Nice!! I will look into that. Maybe I can detect if the user is using VR or not and enable it if he is not using it. Ty for letting me know this, I'm still kind of a noob in Vam

Yup! you can, I do it in VAMOverlays.
But you have to know how to code! You could make a simple plugin to detect if VR or not, then simply trigger a set of actions based on that.

( Which makes me think I could do that natively with VAMStoryDirector )

( Which makes me think I could do that natively with VAMStoryDirector )

Yup, it definitely is. (only thought 2 minutes about it haha). I'm gonna implement that in VAMStoryDirector for all triggers.
They will have the overall trigger + desktop only trigger + vr only trigger.

This could be super handy to creators who want to handle both situations.

I'm currently refactoring the whole UI of VAMStory because of the fact that reaching over 80/100+ dialogs would put VaM to 50ish FPS (on a 3080Ti) without a single person in the scene (pretty much like plugins doing insane lists like Expression Randomizer).

The refactoring is going well, and I'm now working with a "proxy" UI updating all the values.
If everything goes according to plan, there's gonna be an update tonight with a bunch of new content and this fix, but also group renaming for @Saint66 and @Spacedog :p

Refactor, Content and Features

General
  • Added A LOT of new fonts which bring the list to almost 40 fonts.
  • Added new backgrounds inspired from VAMCUI (but higher quality)
  • Removed the constraint on the font size allowing to go higher if necessary (may be needed for some fonts)

VAMStory
  • Added line height option in the global options
  • Added clear position for groups
  • Added group names. For older saves, the plugin will automatically use the ID as the name...

Back
Top Bottom