VAM running in SteamVR...

Izaruk

Reactions
I have no idea how it happened but all of a sudden VAM wants to launch with SteamVR. Even when I use Oculus Tray Tool to add it's own shortcut to the Oculus App. And apparently, for whatever reason VAM likes to crash frequently as a result. Does anyone have a fix? Thanks.

Are you trying to use it in VR? If not, use the "VaM (Desktop Mode).bat" file to launch. It will launch in desktop mode and not attempt to open with SteamVR.

I'm having the same issue. The app started crashing and freezing so I cleared the cache and used the updater to rebuild, now it launches in SteamVR and the controllers don't work correctly. I'm not sure how to prevent it from running in SteamVR.

I'm having the same issue. The app started crashing and freezing so I cleared the cache and used the updater to rebuild, now it launches in SteamVR and the controllers don't work correctly. I'm not sure how to prevent it from running in SteamVR.

Even if you launch VaM from the "VaM (Desktop Mode).bat" file, it still tries to go into VR?

Even if you launch VaM from the "VaM (Desktop Mode).bat" file, it still tries to go into VR?

No, desktop mode did not. I think it's something with a batch file config, if I launch it from the 'Vam (config)' batch file, it launches normally. Seems like some 'openvr' related setting. When it opens in Steam, the main PITA is not able to hide the hand controllers with the two-button shortcut.

This happens to me also. I recall seeing instructions somewhere here or on Reddit on how to force VaM to bypass Steam when launching in VR but I can't remember what the instructions were and can't find them again.

This should work if you have an Oculus headset:
  1. Make a copy of VaM (OpenVR).bat and rename it to VaM (Oculus).bat.
  2. Edit it in a test editor (e.g. Notepad).
  3. Change "OpenVR" to "oculus" (without quotes) and save.
FYI, "OpenVR" is the name of the standard for SteamVR. This is not to be confused with "OpenXR", which is an entirely different standard that VaM doesn't appear to support natively.

However, you could use OpenComposite to convert from OpenVR to OpenXR, which will bypass SteamVR. I don't have any experience setting this up, as it wouldn't benefit a Valve Index (which is native to SteamVR). It should work on WMR, Oculus, newer Vive, and others.

Edit: I just found out that if you just run VaM.exe, then it should default to Oculus mode. That's why there's no Oculus bat file included already.

Last edited:
Quick question on this - is it possible to use a HTC Cosmos Elite with Vam in vr, without using Steam VR? Everything i use in VR uses SteamVr but the htc parts are blocked by steam (htc_rr) etc. Then i noticed HTC has "vivexr" or "steamxr" libraries selectable, was curious if the above is similiar - eg running without steam.

Back
Top Bottom