Question VaM on the Oculus Rift S?

Griffo11709

Reactions
Has anyone / does anyone use VaM with the Oculus Rift S? Was thinking of picking one up pre-owned as I want to step away from the Quest 2 and better use the power of my PC rather than the Q2's specs.

Was wondering if anyone has / does use the Rift S, and how good is it?

I recall seeing some people saying they use the Rift S. Possibly Discord is a better place to ask as it's more visible and active.

I don't have any Oculus devices, I do have a Pico 4 and before a Reverb G2.
The Pico 4 would be equivalent to the Q2, and the G2 to the Rift S. Even though the Pico and G2 have higher specs compared to the Oculus devices, I think it's fair to compare them and guess their relation with using VaM.
Comparing the Pico wirelessly with the wired G2, I see no distinction in performance between wired/wirelessly options.
The role of the Pico/Q2 device is in playing and decoding video, and relaying the head movements and controllers, everything else is done on the PC. There may be smaller performance or visual compromise in specific situations, like fast paced games, but this is not the case of VaM. Of course, for good latency and bandwidth if using wireless you ideally want to have a router close by, ideally no others using it, and a quiet WiFi band.

Upvote 0
I recall seeing some people saying they use the Rift S. Possibly Discord is a better place to ask as it's more visible and active.

The Pico 4 would be equivalent to the Q2, and the G2 to the Rift S. Even though the Pico and G2 have higher specs compared to the Oculus devices, I think it's fair to compare them and guess their relation with using VaM.
Comparing the Pico wirelessly with the wired G2, I see no distinction in performance between wired/wirelessly options.
The role of the Pico/Q2 device is in playing and decoding video, and relaying the head movements and controllers, everything else is done on the PC. There may be smaller performance or visual compromise in specific situations, like fast paced games, but this is not the case of VaM. Of course, for good latency and bandwidth if using wireless you ideally want to have a router close by, ideally no others using it, and a quiet WiFi band.
Thanks for the reply. I'll ask on the VaM discord. Hopefully gets some more answers there.

Upvote 0
Has anyone / does anyone use VaM with the Oculus Rift S? Was thinking of picking one up pre-owned as I want to step away from the Quest 2 and better use the power of my PC rather than the Q2's specs.

I have an Oculus Rift S and am still using it for VAM. It works great for me. I recently tried a Meta Quest Pro with USB tether to PC and was disappointed with it. Have gone back to my trusty Rift S till I can find something better.

Upvote 0
I use a rift as well but only for fun. Trying to edit scenes in vr is a pain. If i have issues is either the oculus app, steam, or a scene setting like post magic.

VAM itself runs good unless i have 3 people.

Upvote 0
I have an Oculus Rift S and am still using it for VAM. It works great for me. I recently tried a Meta Quest Pro with USB tether to PC and was disappointed with it. Have gone back to my trusty Rift S till I can find something better.
Thanks for for your response. Could you share you PC specs and what your in game settings are? For context I'm using a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 32 GB of RAM and a RTX 3070 Ti (8GB V-RAM). Was wondering if I should maybe move from the Quest 2 to the Rift S since you can pick up one pretty cheap on ebay.

Upvote 0
If you think the cable will make things better just try connecting the Q2 by cable, it won't make a difference unless you had a crappy wifi setup.
If you get the Rift you won't get better performance. Well, you may because the rift has a lower resolution than the Q2, but you can also reduce the one used in the Quest. Same thing with your monitor, if you use VaM in 1920p and then in 720p, you'll have more FPS in 720 p because there's fewer pixels to process.
Unless something with your Quest is poorly configured, the Rift will not do anything for you.

Upvote 0
If you think the cable will make things better just try connecting the Q2 by cable, it won't make a difference unless you had a crappy wifi setup.
If you get the Rift you won't get better performance. Well, you may because the rift has a lower resolution than the Q2, but you can also reduce the one used in the Quest. Same thing with your monitor, if you use VaM in 1920p and then in 720p, you'll have more FPS in 720 p because there's fewer pixels to process.
Unless something with your Quest is poorly configured, the Rift will not do anything for you.
Thanks for the info. I'll stay away from the Rift S then and maybe get the Quest 3 later this year when it's out.

Upvote 0

What is your startup guide to running VaM through the G2, and what are your VaM in-game settings if you don't mind me asking? I hated running WMR through SteamVR and felt like it brung my FPS to crawl. Something I never really got on the Q2. Am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
What is your startup guide to running VaM through the G2, and what are your VaM in-game settings if you don't mind me asking? I hated running WMR through SteamVR and felt like it brung my FPS to crawl. Something I never really got on the Q2. Am I doing something wrong?
When you say "Something I never really got on the Q2", are you saying that on the same scene moment and POV, you have a big FPS difference between a Q2 and a G2? I wouldn't expect this to be the case, please confirm your meaning.

My settings for the Pico are the same I had for the G2, and they're pretty close to the default options, just slightly higher. With a good system, which you have, these don't have much impact, and the major changer is the Render Scale. Mine's at 1, 100% the resolution of the monitor/headset.
There's many ways to mess around with the performance/visuals, in and out of VaM, but I think the most important is establishing a reasonable expectation. A rule of thumb is that if on desktop mode you get X FPS on a scene, the same scene using a headset like the Q/G2 will be around half the FPS. While on desktop you have to render for one HD screen, on a headset it's two screens, expecting fewer FPS from that extra work. It's a rule of thumb, different hardware will change a lot but you get the general sense of it.
The good thing about this "rule" is that you don't have to bother with a specific VR headset to get an idea of what you might get from it. The Q2 and G2 are close enough in terms of resolution to be considered the same in terms of GPU demands, being the G2 the higher resolution one. If you were to get a Quest 1 with a much lower resolution, your FPS would be much higher but the visuals would suck. You can have the same effect by reducing the output resolution of the headsets you have, either with Render Scale or in SteamVR, or both. Your FPS will be better but everything looks worse, but sometimes on really heavy scenes this could be usueful to do temporarily.

Here's your homework, run a few typical scenes in desktop and average how they perform, that's your baseline. With a VR headset expect around half. This baseline works if you have a single monitor, Full HD or even 4K, but dual screens, 8K, 70" stuff will naturally distort the comparison basis.
If you find that your FPS in desktop are pretty shit, then it doesn't matter your VR headset choices, there's work to be done in your VaM. Actually, there's always work to be done in VaM, what you have on a scene can wildly change your performance, that's why it's better to try multiple scenes. This can be a whole topic, so I'm stopping for now.

So, back to WMR and SteamVR with a G2. Honestly, I don't see much of a performance difference between using the G2 with SteamVR and the PIco with Virtual Desktop (OpenVR or whatever). The main issues I had was the occasional SteamVR update that would crash VaM, that was the biggest gripe. All good for months, then comes one update that takes a week to get it back working again.
You want there to be sure you have the output resolution in the SteamVR settings to be 100% of your G2 max resolution, more than that will increase the GPU demands. You can also go lower, but you'll be reducing the visuals, I left it at 100%. Do check if the resolution stated there is correct, in case SteamVR thinks you have another device, the G2's are 2160 px squares.

Ok, this is already quite big of a reply and that's because there's so many possible things to discuss. Let me know if anything here is helpful and where more focus should go.

Upvote 0

Just want to warn you: if you have a 3000 series Nvidia card, there is a big chance, you'll get the same problem I had: VaM crashing on heavy scenes. It worked fine with the 2000 series. So it also depends on your graphics card.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom