Uploading models.

Poli5

Reactions
I want to upload some of the models i have created. But what are the rules?

1. How do i save the model i have created as a file. I want to be able to make a list of dependencies and so on.
2. Some of the models i have created have been based on models from other creators. I have modified them heavily but it is a issue if my models depend on files that are not free. Not to mention sharing others work.

You should first read:

Terms and rules:

Guides:

FAQ:

You should first read:

Terms and rules:

Guides:

FAQ:
It's a lot to take in but i will check it out. Thanks atani!

I want to upload some of the models i have created. But what are the rules?

1. How do i save the model i have created as a file. I want to be able to make a list of dependencies and so on.
2. Some of the models i have created have been based on models from other creators. I have modified them heavily but it is a issue if my models depend on files that are not free. Not to mention sharing others work.

1. There's a couple of common ways to distribute your look. Either add her to a scene, use the save scene and add to new var package option or you can just open the package manger and add the appearance preset. A var creation guide is below.

2. This kind of thing is very common in the DAZ ecosystem with many models created from existing models. These will be marketed as "Jenna for Victoria 8" or "Kaori for Sakura 8" etc etc. Its worked for over a decade in the Daz stores and we should follow suit here as its totally transparent showing exactly what you have built upon, assuming that is the base models licence allows derivative works to be created.

As some of your models use others looks as the base you need to check the base looks license and see if your allowed to build upon that creators work. Most importantly for me you should be retaining the morphs and references to the original models wherever possible.

Most creators will have merged their looks into a single morph to distribute as this cuts down on morph dependencies and we all like clean packages with minimal dependencies. What you should do when merging your look is to dial out the base models morphs leaving only your changes before merging the changes into a single morph. The actually distributed model will use 2 morphs, the base character morph referenced from the original creators .var and the morph containing your changes which will be included in your Var.

This will be fine for looks that are available on the hub but if you intend to share looks based off paid content you will find a few issues. PC licenses are basically private use only so you cant merge them into your look and distribute in any way.

Of course no one can stop you posting a look containing your changes and requiring the paid content as a dependency but don't expect a good reception on the hub. Many people wont have the PC and many wont even look at content that isn't fully hub hosted.

If in any doubt just send a DM to the original creator and get their opinion, most are very very nice people and will be all to happy to come to an arrangement.

Any questions on specifics feel free to ask.

J

Last edited:
1. There's a couple of common ways to distribute your look. Either add her to a scene, use the save scene and add to new var package option or you can just open the package manger and add the appearance preset. A var creation guide is below.

2. This kind of thing is very common in the DAZ ecosystem with many models created from existing models. These will be marketed as "Jenna for Victoria 8" or "Kaori for Sakura 8" etc etc. Its worked for over a decade in the Daz stores and we should follow suit here as its totally transparent showing exactly what you have built upon, assuming that is the base models licence allows derivative works to be created.

As some of your models use others looks as the base you need to check the base looks license and see if your allowed to build upon that creators work. Most importantly for me you should be retaining the morphs and references to the original models wherever possible.

Most creators will have merged their looks into a single morph to distribute as this cuts down on morph dependencies and we all like clean packages with minimal dependencies. What you should do when merging your look is to dial out the base models morphs leaving only your changes before merging the changes into a single morph. The actually distributed model will use 2 morphs, the base character morph referenced from the original creators .var and the morph containing your changes which will be included in your Var.

This will be fine for looks that are available on the hub but if you intend to share looks based off paid content you will find a few issues. PC licenses are basically private use only so you cant merge them into your look and distribute in any way.

Of course no one can stop you posting a look containing your changes and requiring the paid content as a dependency but don't expect a good reception on the hub. Many people wont have the PC and people and many wont even look at content that isn't fully hub hosted.

If in any doubt just send a DM to the original creator and get their opinion, most are very very nice people and will be all to happy to come to an arrangement.

Any questions on specifics feel free to ask.

J
Hey Juno. Thanks for the very informative answer. It's really the info i was looking for! I'm sure a question or 2 will pop up along the way. It's nice to know i can ask you for help.

Just to add to Juno's excellent answer, the license for each var can be viewed by opening the var in Vam's package manager. Or if you open the var with a zip utility, you'll find license info inside meta.json.
1656688617369.png

Just to add to Juno's excellent answer, the license for each var can be viewed by opening the var in Vam's package manager. Or if you open the var with a zip utility, you'll find license info inside meta.json.
View attachment 134833
Hey DJ. Thanks for your contributing answer. I will definitely look into it.

Back
Top Bottom