Unable to run VAM off SDD

artovgeizt

Reactions
Hello all. After seeing that my VAM folder was a whopping 100+GB, I decided to shave it down to all my favorite content. I reduced it to just about 29 GB. I ran it off my laptop SSD (500gb} , and everything was fine. I then installed an additional 1TB SSD. I moved the installed folder to that SSD and tried to run it, and nothing. It doesn't load. So I did a fresh install, onto the 1tb SSD, and same thing. Doesn't load. Kinda lost at this point. VAM is installed where windows is, and that installation works fine. The one on the TB doesn't.

What could be the problem ?

Thanks!

Check your anti-virus if it didn't do anything stupid to it, some do sometimes. Check also Core integrity to be sure all is ok there.

Check your anti-virus if it didn't do anything stupid to it, some do sometimes. Check also Core integrity to be sure all is ok there.

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's all there, as I installed it directly to it. I didn't migrate. It is seen to only work on the partition that windows is installed on.

What OS you have (win10/11)?
Do you have issues running other games/apps on that partition (SSD)?
Did you double check bios (make sure everything is correct, all boot/drive related stuff, ahci mode)?
Assuming it's UEFI bios, how did you format new partition/drive (MBR/GPT)?

EDIT: The more info you provide, there is higher chance someone might come up with solution. ;)

What OS you have (win10/11)?
Do you have issues running other games/apps on that partition (SSD)?
Did you double check bios (make sure everything is correct, all boot/drive related stuff, ahci mode)?
Assuming it's UEFI bios, how did you format new partition/drive (MBR/GPT)?

EDIT: The more info you provide, there is higher chance someone might come up with solution. ;)

The partition style is GPT. I can run World of Warcraft off the SSD just fine. I just get a blank screen with VAM. Is there anything specific in the BIOS i should be looking for ? Any suggestions ?

Actually this is laptop, so i would just ignore bios.
You won't have much to tinker with..aside from boot order, boot mode (efi, legacy), fast boot, secure boot.
Drive is detected anyway, you can write to it, you can open apps from it (more or less).🤷‍♂️

Just like others suggested above, I was also leaning towards permission or group policy issue,
but than again, you can run other .exe's and already tried 'run as admin' on vam (didn't work).

So...
onto generic reply (aka blame it on windows):
In that case it can be many reasons why and usually it's something stupid. :ROFLMAO:
From antivirus(acting stupid), firewall, drivers, admin permission, group policy(in case of external/removable drive), location(if inside d:/root and not Program Files or Games), random registry corruption, user corruption, conflict with some other app or process already running, recent windows update messup, the usual...

In most cases simply reinstalling stuff from A-Z (for example:drivers & drive)
or sfc /scannow (as admin) can fix some common issues/corruptions.
Whatever you do, make sure to restart, to take effect (especially if fast boot is on).

Also is vam frozen (not responding) or just black screen?
If fullscreen(borderless), did you try running vam windowed -screen-fullscreen 0 ?
Any errors inside windows event log (after black screen) or vam output_log (C:\Users\<User>\AppData\LocalLow\MeshedVR\VaM)?

Do you have Citrix workspace installed? This is known to prevent Vam (and other Unity programs) from running.

Also, if you haven't already, run the updater >options> synch/repair all.

Do you have Citrix workspace installed? This is known to prevent Vam (and other Unity programs) from running.

Also, if you haven't already, run the updater >options> synch/repair all.

I've sync'ed and repaired that directory like 3 times already. The VAM window popanup, but never loads the main screen options. Just black screen.

Have you tried plugging your SDD into another computer and run VAM from there? I literally copy and paste my whole VAM folder into a HDD and I have no problem running it (bit slow and some elements appears to be missing in some scenes, such as hair or clothes) but works.

Let us know how it went with the other computer/laptop.

Back
Top Bottom