Answered Timeline: How do I bring the animations into a single segment

Ghostwalden

Reactions
When i import an animation to Timeline, it gets added to Segment 1
1711886280275.png

If i then want to import another one i only can choose Segment 2
1711886303345.png

After importing it, i have now Segment 1 and Segment 2

But i would like to import all animations into Segment 1.
As said, i cant select Segment 1 for the second animation when i import it.
I also couldn't figure out how to move the second animation into Segment 1 after it has been imported into Segment 2.

Is there a solution for that?

Thanks for the hint SlimerJSpud.
For my purpose, i use these short timeline animations which i change then wiht UI-Buttons.

Upvote 0
You can use the bulk changes to copy/paste targets & frames from one segment to another.
1. Make an empty anim in the destination segment the same length as your copy window.
2. Copy/Paste targets/frames from Segment 2 to the empty anim in Segment 1.
I believe it created new targets for each target I had selected when I copied. There might be limitations like what if the dest segment already has those targets? I think it still works but haven't tried it. It's probably easier to just to leave as separate segments, but maybe worth some experimentation.

Upvote 0
Hi CheersMate

Just tried this out, but it causes some problems.

Ok i have Anim 01 in Segment 01 and i have Anim 02 in Segment 02
So far so good.
Now i create a new Animation in Sequence 01, i call it Anim 03.
With the BulkChanges function, i copy the Anim 02

Now the Problem Appears.
Do i now open Segment 01 it automatically loads Anim 01 at first.
With this the Character goes to the Place in the Scene where Anim 01 is set.
Do in now select Anim 03 and import the Animation with the BulkChanges funktion,
it imports the Animation, but the Animation ist then at the Place in the Scene, where Anim 01 is
and not where Anim 02 is.

But what does work is, make the targets in Anim 01 the same as they are in Anim 02, then Export the Animation.
After that i can import the Animation into Segment 01 and Delete Segment 02.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi CheersMate

Just tried this out, but it causes some problems.

Ok i have Anim 01 in Segment 01 and i have Anim 02 in Segment 02
So far so good.
Now i create a new Animation in Sequence 01, i call it Anim 03.
With the BulkChanges function, i copy the Anim 02

Now the Problem Appears.
Do i now open Segment 01 it automatically loads Anim 01 at first.
With this the Character goes to the Place in the Scene where Anim 01 is set.
Do in now select Anim 03 and import the Animation with the BulkChanges funktion,
it imports the Animation, but the Animation ist then at the Place in the Scene, where Anim 01 is
and not where Anim 02 is.

But what does work is, make the targets in Anim 01 the same as they are in Anim 02, then Export the Animation.
After that i can import the Animation into Segment 01 and Delete Segment 02.
That sounds like a good solution.
But, I'm not sure I understand the issue you had with copy/paste. As an experiment I imported 2 anims, one with 11 targets and one with 7. It created 2 separate segments as expected. Then I made dummy/destination animations in each segment and made those the length of the animation to be moved. Then copied the anim with fewer targets to the segment with more and it worked, except of course the extra targets only contained the starting points and no other data. Then I did the opposite: copy the more target anim to the less target segment and that worked by adding the extra targets to the segment.
Maybe I'm not seeing the same issue you are because both anims were centered around zero? If the problem is that the animation's root moves when you copy then you can use the "bulk changes -> move relative to root" to move back to its original starting point. But at this point, your Export/Import procedure is sounding more attractive.

Upvote 0
That sounds like a good solution.
But, I'm not sure I understand the issue you had with copy/paste. As an experiment I imported 2 anims, one with 11 targets and one with 7. It created 2 separate segments as expected. Then I made dummy/destination animations in each segment and made those the length of the animation to be moved. Then copied the anim with fewer targets to the segment with more and it worked, except of course the extra targets only contained the starting points and no other data. Then I did the opposite: copy the more target anim to the less target segment and that worked by adding the extra targets to the segment.
Maybe I'm not seeing the same issue you are because both anims were centered around zero? If the problem is that the animation's root moves when you copy then you can use the "bulk changes -> move relative to root" to move back to its original starting point. But at this point, your Export/Import procedure is sounding more attractive.
This may be the problem, because i have different animations, with different positions in the scene.
They are not as in your case both around zero.
I acutally do work with severals segments, otherwise it takes too much time to move them into one segment.
I just have to take care, that the animation for man and woman are in the same sequence, then it works perfectly.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom