Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
patreon.com
Twitter
everlasterVR
Patreon
everlaster
It would be great to have a dedicated section for users to report issues and the creator to respond to and manage them. For plugins, that would mean bug reports, but it could be useful for other resource types as well, such as packaging issues with scenes or looks, errors that pop up when loading a scene, compatibility issues with newer versions of dependencies, etc.

A dedicated issues tab would make it much easier to keep track of what people (or the author themselves, even) have reported, what has been fixed, what issues are actually features and not bugs, what's just a user error etc. It could be like a simplified version of GitHub's Issues tab.

When all discussion on resources is concentrated in a single thread, the discussion around issues gets mixed up with general discussion as well as the automatic update blurbs that get posted when the resource is updated.

Another benefit would be that with a dedicated issues tab, there would be no confusion on what the proper channel is for reporting issues. Currently, some people like to post in the discussion tab, some send a private message, some incorrectly use reviews for bug reports, some post to a public discord channel... and inevitably, many users don't report issues at all. A dedicated issues tab would not only enable collecting all reports in the same place, but make it more likely for issues to be reported early rather than late.

A quick mockup, just as an example:

1700479720667.png

This is an interesting idea, but it still doesn't mean the asset creator will pay attention to the issue. There are assets on the hub that have issues clearly reported in the Discussion tab that have never been fixed.

This is an interesting idea, but it still doesn't mean the asset creator will pay attention to the issue. There are assets on the hub that have issues clearly reported in the Discussion tab that have never been fixed.
It might. A dedicated issues tab would make it transparent to everyone what issues have been reported, and that could make it harder for creators to ignore the reported issues. Few people will be aware of issues buried in some post in the discussion thread, far more people will be aware of issues clearly listed in a dedicated tab.

In addition, this transparency would help users when reporting; users would be less likely to waste their time reporting something that has already been reported, and more likely to report issues that they might otherwise think someone had already reported. I get the "you're probably already aware of this, but I get this error..." quite often, and I can only imagine how many issues don't get reported because users think the creator is already aware.

It might. A dedicated issues tab would make it transparent to everyone what issues have been reported, and that could make it harder for creators to ignore the reported issues. Few people will be aware of issues buried in some post in the discussion thread, far more people will be aware of issues clearly listed in a dedicated tab.

In addition, this transparency would help users when reporting; users would be less likely to waste their time reporting something that has already been reported, and more likely to report issues that they might otherwise think someone had already reported. I get the "you're probably already aware of this, but I get this error..." quite often, and I can only imagine how many issues don't get reported because users think the creator is already aware.
I wondered why you had reached out to me on Discord about a Hub-Hosted issue that's been plainly and repeatedly reported here. I assume it was to make this point? 🙂

Back
Top Bottom