Question So I made a scene that I'm proud of, and I'd like to share. Now what?

vamurai

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
vamurai
Hey everyone. First time poster, long time user. Here. I've been using VaM for a little over a year. I spent early days just downloading content, then I started creating. I've finally created a scene I'm pretty proud of and would like to upload it for others to enjoy, but I have a few things I'm looking for advice on. I'll try to keep this brief:

First, a shoutout to ALL of the content creators out there for the hard work you do. This shiz is NOT easy. I'd especially like to thank the creators who specialize in utilities to make content creation easier. Big names like MacGruber and Acidbubbles, of course, but really anyone who's ever made anything to make other creators' lives easier. You guys ROCK.

So first problem, and I've seen a lot of threads on this, but am looking for fresh takes in the latest version: Dealing with dependencies. I walked through some tutorial stuff and was able to create a var file, then add that var file in the package manager and see the LONG list of dependencies. What's the best way to tackle the project of trimming this list down?

My second issue actually stems from the above. It turns out I am using a look called "Patricia" by Stenzelo, whom, until I started looking to wrap everything up and publish a package, I was unaware has had their content deleted. The message says "Stenzelo is permanently banned from posting resources." Sounds rough. My question is, what should I do about it? I really like the look, so I guess I could try and recreate it by hand. I assume publishing with something/someone who is banned from the Hub is no bueno. Trying to recreate this asset in my scene would be very difficult, and I'm just trying to figure out how best to do it.

Which leads nicely my to my next problem. The scene will be difficult to plop another look/model into because it is timed pretty meticulously to music, which means the size of a replacement would need to be VERY close. I used Acidbubbles' Timeline to build about four minutes of animations (funny how four minutes ends up being like a hundred hours of clicking around, as a newbie!) I have come across the plugin that keeps audio sync'd with your animations, but it doesn't seem to work with my Timeline animations. Is there a way to have the two work together, or do I need to do some sort of export of the animations to get it to work properly? Any help here would be appreciated!

Lastly, I'm curious about what the best way to make sure that others will have proper music timing with the animations would be. The syncing plugin should help, I think, but are there serious differences for other people based on their computer and their settings? I was tinkering around in settings, and I found that changing the "Physics Rate" definitely speeds up and slows down animation. Should I be publishing some settings with my scene as a guideline for others to follow?

Thank you in advance for any and all that you can help with. This is a great community, and I'm excited to start contributing more to it.

Even if there's, say, a tip jar, that's still not its primary purpose; they even say it's intentionally flexible to allow for things like that. Can you please explain how this free content is "technically commercial"? If that's true, then it affects a lot of my content.
I'm not a laywer so don't rely on my advice too much. However, at least in my country, if you operate a Patreon and do more than I believe something like 400€ per year (many Patreon sites here do that per month already) you have to register a kind of "one-man mini company" with the local tax authority, you have to do proper accounting, other tax nonsense and of course actually pay normal income tax on your Patreon income. In my opinion a "tip jar", assuming you are over that 400€/year barrier, is already "commercial". It should be very similar in other countries, at least within the EU.

Edit: If a tip-jar is not commercial, would operating a Free-to-Play game also be not commerical? Like Epic Games with Fortnite, you don't HAVE to give them money....yet they are clearly doing it for commercial interest, right? Or anyone doing money with advertising like Google.

Upvote 0
Ok, I see what you're saying.
Yeah, in my country (US) you have to file a "miscellaneous income" tax form to account for all your freelance, tip, etc. income. But that's for tax purposes, which is unrelated to copyright. The NC copyright clause specifically says it depends on "the primary purpose for which the work is used, not on the category or class of reuser."

In other words, you can be a greedy capitalist for-profit corporation and still share free content with a NC clause; likewise, if you're a nonprofit organization whose reason for existence is noncommercial, using NC content for monetary compensation - fundraising, for example - would still be a violation.

So, I think I'm still good here, and so was Oeshii (with that particular clause at least).
This exercise DID make me realize another eensy weensy violation I've made in the past, but we'll just move on from that and do better going forward! :D

Upvote 0
Wow, this thread got interesting. I appreciate the commentary around the ins-and-outs of fair use and licensing. I know you all aren't lawyers, but you're all experienced creators and I value your opinions on the subject greatly.

To the OP, if youre using my Industrial Room asset, you probably should not share that. Sorry for any inconvinience this ordeal might have caused for you. :(
Oh, it's been a journey. As you can see above, I've been through a lot of stuff just to get to the end, only to find that the entire environment probably needs to go, haha.

I'm trying to rework the scene into a new environment now. I will probably have to change some animations since finding another with a couch, wall and table exactly where I need them might be tricky. It's a shame, it really is a great asset and I'm disappointed that I'll have to replace it. The "warmth" of the scene is something I was really trying to go for since so many scenes hide their details in darkness, or don't put a lot of effort into setting a "mood" with lighting.

So long, industrial loft. You will be missed. :(

Attachments

• idfc.png
    idfc.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
And on that note... I'm having trouble finding stuff on the hub that will do what I need it to do. If I decide to go out and try to find my own asset, then repackage it so it can be used in VaM, what am I looking for with licensing? I feel like pretty much anything I actually pay for will be out of the question, since clearly purchasing a room and then making it free for others to download is the crux of the whole issue here.

Upvote 0
Yeah even free stuff usually some kind of non-redistribution license, in the case of VaM it's a gray area because you don't redistribute the asset, but it's really not far. I think someone contacted Daz about that kind of questions and the response was "no, you can package in a game but not redistribute in any way or form", since the var is used to build stuff, we're screwed. There are some licenses though that do allow unrestricted usage but they are rare (and no license doesn't mean free of limitations either)

So, either we pay, or you contact the author and hope for a special permission, or someone steps up and invests time in building great free environments for VaM. In software there's open source, but in 3D it's not as well structured (though there are multiple free resources websites)

Upvote 0
Yeah even free stuff usually some kind of non-redistribution license, in the case of VaM it's a gray area because you don't redistribute the asset, but it's really not far. I think someone contacted Daz about that kind of questions and the response was "no, you can package in a game but not redistribute in any way or form", since the var is used to build stuff, we're screwed. There are some licenses though that do allow unrestricted usage but they are rare (and no license doesn't mean free of limitations either)

So, either we pay, or you contact the author and hope for a special permission, or someone steps up and invests time in building great free environments for VaM. In software there's open source, but in 3D it's not as well structured (though there are multiple free resources websites)
So... You're saying I need to start making high-quality, custom environments for people use in VaM. Check. 🤔

Upvote 0
Its rare, but sometimes environments/assets are shared not with whatever random licence the store uses, but with a CreativeCommons licence. For example on https://sketchfab.com you find such, although environments there are often just 3D scans with bad quality instead of actual builds. But these are the same CreativeCommons licences as the VAR package system uses, so you can just pick the same license, release the environment separately from your scene and then reference it. Of course you might run into a case like we discussed in this thread where somebody just uploaded stuff found somewhere else.

Upvote 0
Well, guess I better get to it then, huh?

My first mockup in Blender. Got some baking and other stuff to do before bringing it into Unity, then asset bundle stuff (Thanks @MacGruber for that tutorial. It looks like it will keep coming in handy past custom audio bundles.)

apartment.png

Upvote 0
Most people, incl. me: "Shit, I need a whole new skillset for this?? Welp, looking for alternatives. Maybe just good ol' Slate and Skybox for this one?"

Vamurai: "Does Thursday work for you?"

Upvote 0
Latest update: I was able to finally get a custom unity object to work in VaM, thanks to MacGruber's guide and various tutorials on the Blender-to-Unity process.

The good news is that I'm close, and it works! The bad news is that I'm having a lot of trouble getting my materials into Unity from Blender, and since VaM wants textures, I still have some work to do here. You can see in the image below that I can get the environment into VaM, but now I need to texture things appropriately.

I just thought I'd share that I'm still working on this, and ask if it'd be more appropriate if I closed this "question" thread and move this to another subforum.

1618426211364.png

Upvote 0
Okay, another update before I mark this thread as resolved. I think I'll start a new one for just the blender-to-unity-to-VaM process I am going through! I had a breakthrough today when I found this awesome plugin for blender that lets you do baking using Eevee: https://blendermarket.com/products/pbr-texture-bakery-for-cycles

There are some caveats in how you have to configure your shader, but this is WAY easier than using Cycles to UV Unwrap, UV edit, tinker with render settings to get rid of fireflies, wait for long-ass renders and baking, save your image, then apply it in Unity and hope to hell that the image is nice enough looking and aligned properly when you go to apply your image to the object.

With this little $10 Blender plugin, you take your object with the materials that you've applied, clean up the shader a bit to include the plugin, then just bake it, save it, and apply it in Unity. I've only done a few objects so far, but it's been flawless each time. The final textures aren't perfect, but man, they are close enough. Honestly, the differences are probably just down to lighting between the two applications.

Original Beanbag in Blender:

1620938415306.png

Beanbag loaded in Unity with baked texture applied:

1620938459608.png

Upvote 0
Okay, another update before I mark this thread as resolved. I think I'll start a new one for just the blender-to-unity-to-VaM process I am going through! I had a breakthrough today when I found this awesome plugin for blender that lets you do baking using Eevee: https://blendermarket.com/products/pbr-texture-bakery-for-cycles

There are some caveats in how you have to configure your shader, but this is WAY easier than using Cycles to UV Unwrap, UV edit, tinker with render settings to get rid of fireflies, wait for long-ass renders and baking, save your image, then apply it in Unity and hope to hell that the image is nice enough looking and aligned properly when you go to apply your image to the object.
1620954683297.png

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom