Should "Early Access" listed content not switch to free status after set date?

Miki

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
MikiDesign
Asking because after the early access date ends, the content is by definition no longer early access. However, currently with that label staying there after the period ends, many users will not realize it is now free, especially if they have filtered out those kinds of things from their searches.

I'd advise the site auto updates those on the day of expired to let users who said "I'll wait and grab it when it's free" to actually get a flag that it is now free. As an example, https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/kate-hair-collection-5-full-hairstyles.343/ became free yesterday, but it still says early access and go to pay site, which is very misleading.

Just my opinion anyhow.

Well, ideally the creator should upload the resource (if it's a VAR) so it works with the auto-download which is coming with VaM 1.20. You can't do that automatically, I guess.

So far I was too lazy to switch IdlePoser to free as well. :rolleyes:

If this will happen automatically I recommend to have the site wait some extra 24h after the given date, to make sure it's actually free. You never know what unlock time people enter on their Patreon site. The default is the time you posted it, which could be 23:59 in whatever timezone. I doubt many creators bother to manually set it to the beginning of the day. Because of the stupid Patreon site the earliest you can enter is 1:01 in your local timezone. A I am usually doing that, though.

Well, ideally the creator should upload the resource (if it's a VAR) so it works with the auto-download which is coming with VaM 1.20. You can't do that automatically, I guess.

I'd be fine with uploading the file, and maybe I am missing something, but when I go to manually update the post I do not see the option to change the Patreon link to a direct upload, I can only change the image, text, and the link address. There was an option to change the flair, but when I picked that I didn't have any options other than keeping it at early access. I feel also that even with the ability to directly upload the content, it should have a dual ability to link to the Patreon while also maintaining the direct download to be integrated with VaM 1.2, and advertising the Patreon for those interested in the creators work.

Not trying to be lazy but that is just what I have found so far, correct me if there is something I am missing please!

You need to select "move resource" to change the "flair".

You can't upload the resource on the hub for paid/early access resource because you could accidentally circumvent your paywall. When its free you can just post an update with the upload.

There is also the issue that an automatic unlock would not update the last modified date on the resource. It would be under free, but it would not be listed among the new items. So people will likely miss it anyway. The creator actually needs to "release a new version" and "post an update". I just did this for IdlePoser: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/idleposer.203/

There is also the issue that an automatic unlock would not update the last modified date on the resource. It would be under free, but it would not be listed among the new items. So people will likely miss it anyway. The creator actually needs to "release a new version" and "post an update". I just did this for IdlePoser: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/idleposer.203/

I knew I was missing something! I never noticed the "move resource" option, I'm surprised it is not embedded with just simply updating the resource. I've done what you said now and made it all work, though it is quite the process to redo everything just for that simple result. If that could be streamlined, and potentially automated with a time delayed upload which matches the release date expired, you wouldnt need to worry about the Patreon end time.

My suggested solution:

Early access file posted with link to Patreon, with the actual file also uploaded to the hub, but hidden. After early access end date is triggered, post automatically reveals the content as a direct download, moving the Patreon link to the bottom of the post text to keep the advertisement, and additionally triggers a post update to highlight it with new/updated content, and the flair just changes to the free variant.

Not sure how feasible that is, but would make things alot smoother for the process!

Thanks for your help MacGruber!

The method for moving resource is to use the Move resource option available when viewing the Overview page:

1592573730286.png

Optionally, after moving to free, you can change the resource type to be uploaded files (this option only appears once moved):
1592573753688.png

1592573613090.png

We might be able to implement auto-move system to automatically move the item after early-access date, but I sort of feel this should be done by the creator to make sure the link and download they provided is publicly accessible. I'm not sure what you meant by it being quite a process. The Move resource only takes a couple of clicks to move the resource over to the proper free category. It keeps all the history and discussion thread.

Thanks Meshed, still discovering all of the features of the site. I didn't notice any uploaders guides for this stuff on the forums, so for an uploading simpleton like me it takes a bit more time to figure out the workings, that's all I meant by it being quite the process (as compared to Patreon, where you set the date and forget about it). I'm fine with doing it this way but was just trying to throw some creative ideas out there. I do get the keeping integrity part with keeping the diligence on part of the uploader to follow up however.

We're working on some guides and a wiki since VaM and Hub are pretty lacking in terms of documentation. We aim to make it easier for newcomers.
That's great news! I'm sure that will have a very positive impact for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom