Question Renamed var files, may have messed up.

ghostmerder

Reactions
Hello,

In effort to make my addonpackages folder less of a nightmare for navigating downloaded items, I renamed a bunch of things to make them less difficult to find. Unfortunately, when I booted up VAM, almost nothing registered anymore. I thought these var files were more or less self-contained, but perhaps they're interlinked to other things more than I thought. I'm not really even sure how to go back and undo the renames, so I'm wondering if anyone would mind spinning me up on exactly what it is that I screwed up. I clearly overestimated my understanding here.

I fully expected to have to repair existings scenes by loading the new file names into the unity assets, but this is a little above my understanding.

Well....you done did it now! 🤣

-if you renamed package to anything other than original name it won't load, and drop errors for invalid naming or corrupted meta (only version changing is ok)
-that automatically removes references to original package (as if it doesn't exist, since you renamed it), that means any other package depending on it is gonna drop extra errors for missing package (that you already have...but incorrect name)

basically inside every package there is meta.json that tells package name once created.
inside it is creatorName & packageName part, it needs to be exactly the same with package name for it to work.

So for example if creator name inside meta is @ghostmerder and package name My_Scene
than that package should be named ghostmerder.My_Scene.VER.var (following the usual creatorName.packageName.packageVersion.var format)

In order to rename package you also have to update meta.json inside it, to reflect new name...
But it would advice to return back to original names, to avoid more corruption and broken packages...
If you wanna "organize it" you can put packages inside sub-folders (inside addonsPackages), named them by creator or type (clothing, scene...).

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom