Question Red Normal Map On Clothes Import.

TToby

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
This time I have a question myself.
After some month, I just wanted to import some DAZ clothing like usual.
After VaM was doing its magic, I realized that the normal maps were looking strange.
When I opened the folder I could see the imported normal maps were red instead of the usual blue color.
I know, that VaM or better Unity is auto-converting bump maps or some normal maps from DAZ, but till some month ago, there was never an issue whith this.
A short internet search has shown quite some hits on "Unity & red normal map". It has maybe something to do with compression or setting wrong variables in the code.

Question:
-Has someone else this issue, too?
-Has this maybe something to do with the DAZ shaders I have used?
-Do I not see the obvious and act a bit stupid, or is this a real bug?
-Last but not least... could this be an issue with that oldish Unity version and AMD hardware?
Last time I have flawlessly imported clothes was before I have got my all-new AMD PC (CPU & GPU).
-If this is the case, then other AMD users may please tell, if they have this issue, too.

Workaround:
In Photoshop I could see, that those red normal maps have reversed color channels.
Go to channels and ctrl+a ctrl+c ctrl+v copy the green channel over the red channel and then the blue channel over the green channel. Then fill the blue channel with pure white. No2 --> no1, no3 --> no2 and pure white to no3.
Nevertheless, it would be nice to not have to do this.

Nobody? :(
I have looked through a dozend of other peoples clothes items last week and found some with corrupted red normal maps, too. Some even had added corrected blue NM, but didn't deleted the red ones.
In addition to this, I took some of my own old previously correctly imported DAZ clothes and imported them a second time: --> red NM instead of blue NM!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the red normals, after importing a lot of clothing myself seem to be due to vam mixing up color channels (no idea how to fix this as its probably due to the clothing import system). I get them on 50% of my clothing it seems to depend on the clothing piece but it would seem to be an issue with bump map conversion .for Daz clothing if it has only bump maps I run it through www.smart-page.net/smartnormal/ , it converts them over to a normal map pretty flawlessly and It can even be used on just images to make normals too.

Upvote 0
the red normals, after importing a lot of clothing myself seem to be due to vam mixing up color channels (no idea how to fix this as its probably due to the clothing import system). I get them on 50% of my clothing it seems to depend on the clothing piece but it would seem to be an issue with bump map conversion .for Daz clothing if it has only bump maps I run it through www.smart-page.net/smartnormal/ , it converts them over to a normal map pretty flawlessly and It can even be used on just images to make normals too.

Hi,
thank you for your reply! The strange thing is, that I hadn't this issue more than a year ago, when I imported a lot of my DAZ clothes.
So, maybe this was broken with one of the few latest updates.
Last Question? Do you have an NVIDIA or AMD graphics card????
Untill some month ago, I had NVIDIA, now AMD.

Upvote 0
Hi,
thank you for your reply! The strange thing is, that I hadn't this issue more than a year ago, when I imported a lot of my DAZ clothes.
So, maybe this was broken with one of the few latest updates.
Last Question? Do you have an NVIDIA or AMD graphics card????
Untill some month ago, I had NVIDIA, now AMD.

i have a NVIDIA and yes it could of been broken in a previous update as iv only been making clothes for a few months now so i have no experience on the older verisons. but always have had this issue

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom