Answered Daz V4 Clothes Import as black

cmramlow

Reactions
Hi all -

I have half of the workflow for importing V4 clothes into Vam but need help please.

If I setup my V4 clothes in Daz and load into Vam the mesh is black and un-texture-able, unlike any g2/g3/g8 clothes that all import into Vam fine.

I thinlk with v4 I have to load in daz then export as obj, then import back into daz, THEN save as as scene duf file, but I dont know the Daz obj export/import settings and the clothes come back into Daz and dont fit any more.

Anyone have screen shots of the proper daz obj export/import options OR a better method pls?

Thank you fam

Hi, I know this verry well, I had a lot of V4 stuff, too.
Those clothes are black and untexturable, because they lost their so called UV map at half the way.
The solution is not completely tivial, some old clothes just keep giving issues.

You can try two things (or both of them):
1. Change the surface shader. Unity (VaM) has issues with those very old DAZ materials. You don't need to completely re-texture the clothes.
Just select the objects root material enty, go to the "surface" tab (where you can change the textures), click the "Presets" sub-tab, go to "Shaders" and select one of those "uber" or "Iray" shaders. For more infos google for one of the many DAZ tutorials on how to use shaders.

2. Export/Import: Fit the cloth item to the Genesis 2 figure. To do so, you should have a V4 "UV clone" installed (If you press 'fit to Genesis 2', is there already a option to select V4 as original shape?).
IAfter that, export it as OBJ or FBX (I use OBJ for some reasons). To do so, first delete the Genesis 2 figure, or you will export it, too. You can also hide it and select "export only visible" or "Ignore invisible", but Undo will bring back the deleted G2 very fast.
As export option choose "to DAZ Studio 1Unit=1cm". Leave everything else on standard.
After this, Import it back to DAZ.
This sounds dumb, but it will solve most of those issues.
But be cautious: If you import it back, it will link to the materials/textures in the OBJ/MAT file!
This will lead most of the time to a second big issue: The UV map is working, but VaM has found no textures! The clothes will be white.
The most reliable solution for this is IMHO to go to the "surface" tab and re-link all the textures to their normal DAZ location manually, or, if available, you can apply the original material with a click from the DAZ library as usual.
You can try to export the OBJ to a folder within the DAZ library, maybe VaM will find them now. As you know, before you can import clothes from DAZ, you have to set the correct DAZ path in the VaM settings.

I hope this will help.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom