Question RAM: 16 vs 32GB, is there a big performance difference?

peenUltimate

Reactions
I'm still messing with parts on my new build, so I'm curious if anyone has noticed appreciable differences in performance with higher RAM capacities?

I have 16GB 4400mhz (bought on sale) that I could overclock, but I'm not too knowledgeable about that honestly. I just noticed when I first started testing VaM that it actually used up most of the RAM (admittedly with other apps open). I have a few days left that I could return my current kit no-questions-asked and get a larger kit of lower speed RAM for a bit extra.

Last edited:
I was playing Vam for most of 2020 with 16gb (x2 8bg) stuck at 2666mhz, recently upgraded to 32bg (x4 8gb) and set it at 3200mhz in BIOS and honestly its not much of a boost idk if 4400mhz would have made much more. From what hear Vam is CPU based and SSD is almost necessary compared to HDD to get decent load times. RAM in this game seems to max out after opening too much, I opened scene after scene and a bunch of looks and could se RAM Memory usage go up and up, hit 32gb and CTD

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback!

I figure the speed is really only gonna matter once I start trying to overclock my CPU, since Ryzen CPUs don't typically use memory speeds above 3600mhz in a stable manner (to my understanding). So I'll get a boost there for any CPU bound processes, but that's probably the extent of it except in massive scenes hopefully.

Upvote 0
we had a forum about AMD or Intel from what it sounds like is AMD specializes in multithreading and Intel focuses on higher single core speeds, VaM doesn't actually utilizes multithreading. I use a Intel i7 9700k 3.5-4.9ghz and my bottle neck is the 2070 super.

Upvote 0
For me it was huge diiffrence, mainly when you browse scene. After few minutes of scene browsking with 16GB whole system almost stop working. With 32 i can browse dozens of scene and no problem (though i do not know if its CPU and GPU ive also change.

Upvote 0
For me it was huge diiffrence, mainly when you browse scene. After few minutes of scene browsking with 16GB whole system almost stop working. With 32 i can browse dozens of scene and no problem (though i do not know if its CPU and GPU ive also change.
not sure what you mean scene browsing but yeah each scene you open without resetting the game increases RAM usage i noticed it will hit 32gb if you let it.

Upvote 0
i mean opening scene after scene without closing. or having fun with many clothes without clearing cache. With 32 GB i have to open a looot scene to it become a problem with just 16 gb it was quite fast that i have to close game .

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom