Plugin to reset feet on load

VRmatt

Reactions
Is there an plugins that will reset the feet of all persons?
I frequently load a model or pose, but its been created for highheels.
I want to un-angle the toes and ankles, and position the person atom at ground level.

Anyone interested in doing a comission for this?

There is so much complexity to what you're asking, that it's kind of meant to be as annoying as fixing the feets yourself.
Let me give you the reason why :
  • First the origin of a character can be anywhere compared to the center of mass of the character itself. You could raytrace from the origin to the ground on the Y axis (hoping that you will not collide with anything weird in between), but there is a lot of chance that this might not actually by the "ground". You could try to make an average computation of all the nodes and the origin to find a better result, but this will still be somewhat not very accurate since a creator can completely shift the origin from the character itself.
  • Removing the rotation from the feet could change the original pose depending on how the pose is made.
And this, is only a brief summary of what problems you could run into with a plugin like this.

Honestly, the amount of work required for this, is not worth the 3 minutes you spend fixing heels/feet positions. And even with the best motivation and intentions possible, I suspect it's quite impossible to get a proper result automatically. You will end up having to fix/adjust the pose after the plugin pass... 99% sure.

There is so much complexity to what you're asking, that it's kind of meant to be as annoying as fixing the feets yourself.
Let me give you the reason why :
  • First the origin of a character can be anywhere compared to the center of mass of the character itself. You could raytrace from the origin to the ground on the Y axis (hoping that you will not collide with anything weird in between), but there is a lot of chance that this might not actually by the "ground". You could try to make an average computation of all the nodes and the origin to find a better result, but this will still be somewhat not very accurate since a creator can completely shift the origin from the character itself.
  • Removing the rotation from the feet could change the original pose depending on how the pose is made.
And this, is only a brief summary of what problems you could run into with a plugin like this.

Honestly, the amount of work required for this, is not worth the 3 minutes you spend fixing heels/feet positions. And even with the best motivation and intentions possible, I suspect it's quite impossible to get a proper result automatically. You will end up having to fix/adjust the pose after the plugin pass... 99% sure.
I'm curious then, how does the 'reset' button work when I click it to reset the foot rotation? It seems to work pretty flawlessly.
I think it zeroes out the rotation based on the parent endpoint. Right?
Then why can't a script just hit 'reset'?

What 'reset' button are you referring to?
I believe it's this one.
Screenshot 2024-10-08 145437.png

Correct, on both accounts. (if the script doesn't already exist somewhere)

Its just that, I spend so much time having to reset toes everytime I change a pose...

You need to RESET the toes and foot, (foot, does not always need to be reset). it fix the problem for me.

I'm curious then, how does the 'reset' button work when I click it to reset the foot rotation? It seems to work pretty flawlessly.
I think it zeroes out the rotation based on the parent endpoint. Right?
Then why can't a script just hit 'reset'?

Reset does not care about anything.
It reset the character at world origin, the end. If your origin has a car on it, your character will reset inside of it and explode. All resets work like that, they default the value, that's all.

What you're asking on the other hand has to take in account "something" ( the ground, which can be made with 100 different techniques ). It's not the same thing as simply resetting :)

Reset does not care about anything.
It reset the character at world origin, the end. If your origin has a car on it, your character will reset inside of it and explode. All resets work like that, they default the value, that's all.

What you're asking on the other hand has to take in account "something" ( the ground, which can be made with 100 different techniques ). It's not the same thing as simply resetting :)
I was specifically talking about an atom controller 'reset', not a person control.

Hence why I said "all" :p
This was to give context.

I don't see how a plugin is gonna make this far better or faster. You will end up selecting the controls to adjust your pose anyway

Tell that to the delicately crafted models that end up curb stomping themselves because their node decided it was going for a walk.
:ROFLMAO:

I would make the plugin just for feet and toes. And call it 'foot lovers'

Back
Top Bottom