Pico 4

AQueenoftheNight

Reactions
Hello - I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, but I have recently received the new Pico 4. Traditionally I have used a Q2 through Virtual Desktop to create which has been absolutely fine. I also have a Reverb G2 which I bought used which is also great, just can't get on with the controllers.
The Pico is very Q2 like - I love the controllers (capacitive) and the pancake lenses give the sharpest, richest and deepest colors I have seen. I use VAM through Virtual Desktop and a resolution of 3800 x 3800 per eye - I was genuinely impressed at the step-up - even over the G2. I can definitely recommend - the comfort and lightness is also very welcome. I hope that helps anyone looking to buy. 😊

I have Quest 1 at the moment and I've been thinking about an upgrade. The Pico 4 looks tempting.

Does VAM work through Virtual Desktop + SteamVR normally like with the Quest? And does it also have a wired option similar to Oculus Link? I would also like to play other SteamVR games with the headset non-wirelessly so it uses the PC as hardware.

I have Quest 1 at the moment and I've been thinking about an upgrade. The Pico 4 looks tempting.

Does VAM work through Virtual Desktop + SteamVR normally like with the Quest? And does it also have a wired option similar to Oculus Link? I would also like to play other SteamVR games with the headset non-wirelessly so it uses the PC as hardware.

In answer to your questions yes it does. It is treated just like a Quest by Virtual Desktop (it has its own VD App in the Pico Store) and can be used wired (USB C) or wirelessly.

In answer to your questions yes it does. It is treated just like a Quest by Virtual Desktop (it has its own VD App in the Pico Store) and can be used wired (USB C) or wirelessly.
Sounds great, thanks! The most annoying thing about the Quest 1 for me is the weight and ergonomics. It's really heavy and all the weight is on the front, only after 30 minutes the pressure on the cheekbones is starting to become unpleasant. The Pico 4 looks really comfortable like you mentioned, it seems to come with different kind of face cushions?
The Quest is also quite old now so I suspect it would also be a major upgrade hardware wise.

Sounds great, thanks! The most annoying thing about the Quest 1 for me is the weight and ergonomics. It's really heavy and all the weight is on the front, only after 30 minutes the pressure on the cheekbones is starting to become unpleasant. The Pico 4 looks really comfortable like you mentioned, it seems to come with different kind of face cushions?
The Quest is also quite old now so I suspect it would also be a major upgrade hardware wise.
I am very interested about pico 4 (and its new pancake lenses) ... please write back even more about your impressions, user tips, with it and specially with regard at the wired alternative: I hope that the usb c option with pico 4 it's not so bad as the testers of you tube insist to say. And of course I care just about vam performance, wired, as this is for me the most practical/comfortly and easy playing alternative.

Last edited:
I am very interested about pico 4 (and its new pancake lenses) ... please write back even more about your impressions, user tips, with it and specially with regard at the wired alternative: I hope that the usb c option with pico 4 it's not so bad as the testers of you tube insist to say. And of course I care just about vam performance, wired, as this is for me the most practical/comfortly and easy playing alternative.
Sure thing, I'll come back to this if I eventually get the Pico 4.

I have to ask though, why would you prefer playing wired when there's the possibility of playing wireless with Virtual Desktop? Are there any other benefits than a little lower latency?

Sure thing, I'll come back to this if I eventually get the Pico 4.

I have to ask though, why would you prefer playing wired when there's the possibility of playing wireless with Virtual Desktop? Are there any other benefits than a little lower latency?
lol! you hit my weak point ... it is because I had only wired headsets, the last is a rev. g2, and I play (static sitting in a divan) only vam with vr. Plus: around my flat I got so a lot of wireless traffic and in some rooms I get more strong signal from my neighbours than from my router (and it is a good dual band router). The real motivation comes from my non rational fear about everything concerning lan settings, interferences, special options for security settings, special important settings for virtual desktop streamer, options for steam vr, and other fucking stuff. I said not rational, it is simply a prejudice of mine, but I like since always the secure stability of a wired terminal, my pc breathing with ethernet cable and display port 🙃

Hello - I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, but I have recently received the new Pico 4. Traditionally I have used a Q2 through Virtual Desktop to create which has been absolutely fine. I also have a Reverb G2 which I bought used which is also great, just can't get on with the controllers.
The Pico is very Q2 like - I love the controllers (capacitive) and the pancake lenses give the sharpest, richest and deepest colors I have seen. I use VAM through Virtual Desktop and a resolution of 3800 x 3800 per eye - I was genuinely impressed at the step-up - even over the G2. I can definitely recommend - the comfort and lightness is also very welcome. I hope that helps anyone looking to buy. 😊
can you write your impressions about vam playing with cable link + pico4 ? please... and more details on your experience with pico4 vs reverb g2 (my actuall headset) would be a lot appreciated ... I am very curious about those pancake lens. Thanks.

can you write your impressions about vam playing with cable link + pico4 ? please... and more details on your experience with pico4 vs reverb g2 (my actuall headset) would be a lot appreciated ... I am very curious about those pancake lens. Thanks.
I'm afraid I can't. The current cable link setup gives poor resolution, so I don't use it. I have used Virtual Desktop for several years with a dedicated router and find it excellent at 3820 x 3820 with perfect clarity (in my opinion) on the Pico 4. No way would I go back to a wired setup.

I'm afraid I can't. The current cable link setup gives poor resolution, so I don't use it. I have used Virtual Desktop for several years with a dedicated router and find it excellent at 3820 x 3820 with perfect clarity (in my opinion) on the Pico 4. No way would I go back to a wired setup.
What kind of performance do you get with that resolution and which hardware are you running on your PC ?

I'm running RTX 3080/R9 3900X at the moment but planning to upgrade to 5800X3D since they go super cheap at this time. Performance with the 3900X is quite poor in 2+ atom scenes, even with Redeyes' GiveMeFPS. Just curious about what kind of improvement should I expect with a new processor and the Pico 4.

So gentlemen, who has an opinion on VaM with the Pico 3 Neo Link and the Pico 4?

Controller, OK? Tracking OK? FOV and lenses make a difference even on VaM? Not too much problem with wireless or usb?
Is it worth it in exchange for a Quest 2?

Thanks ^^

May I know what hardware you have and how is the performance? To run that kind of resolution per eye seems hard.

I was on the way to buy a pico 4, but if this is what we get: for me, end of the story

Attachments

• IMG_4397.png
    IMG_4397.png
    9 MB · Views: 0
I was on the way to buy a pico 4, but if this is what we get: for me, end of the story
I really wouldn't take much stock from the likes of MRTV and other review sites / channels - I have not found those results at all - indeed I find the picture quality far superior in the Pico 4 than my G2 - I also use it without the face mask (a little like the Quest Pro) which gives a massive field of view improvement and even more clarity. Unfortunately, these things are always subjective. I took a chance by purchasing from Amazon knowing I had 30 days to trial it. I find it by far the best out of the Q2, the G2 and the P4 and I would never go back.

Just got the Pico 4 on mail today. I will play with it for a week or two and then return to this thread to give my 2 cents for people interested.

Pardon me for bothering you again, but how does one exactly run VAM with a forced resolution in SteamVR and Virtual Desktop? I can't seem to find any resolution selection in VD. My monitor's native resolution is 1440p but VAM is running at 1080p when I launch it in VR.

I really wouldn't take much stock from the likes of MRTV and other review sites / channels - I have not found those results at all - indeed I find the picture quality far superior in the Pico 4 than my G2 - I also use it without the face mask (a little like the Quest Pro) which gives a massive field of view improvement and even more clarity. Unfortunately, these things are always subjective. I took a chance by purchasing from Amazon knowing I had 30 days to trial it. I find it by far the best out of the Q2, the G2 and the P4 and I would never go back.
ok, interpolated res. giving more than 3k pixels x eye can give some illusion of good detail. Thanks for the answer. I bought reverb g2 after (just per coincidence!) listening what it was looking like a german guy's honest tube-review. Otherwise I would never take something with so many "issues" on tracking and connectivity life span as still a lot of people they like to mention about reverb :eek::sleep: ... So I actually invested some coins in a i7 13700k, waiting for the promised (by Pico-chan company) "dongle for dedicated connectivity to your pc", still wondering why the chinese guys they need so much to put it on the market-bazar.

Last edited:
Just got the Pico 4 on mail today. I will play with it for a week or two and then return to this thread to give my 2 cents for people interested.

Pardon me for bothering you again, but how does one exactly run VAM with a forced resolution in SteamVR and Virtual Desktop? I can't seem to find any resolution selection in VD. My monitor's native resolution is 1440p but VAM is running at 1080p when I launch it in VR.
my guess: there are quality settings in WMR and a lot of options in steamVR too to fix native or interpolated resolution, parameters that you can set as you wish. My reverb g2, for instance is actually set at around 50/60% for steamVR max resolution (meaning with this a % corresponding to the REAL 4k reverb g2 native res. per eye), otherwise with that drunk "high" standard setting you get when your pc starts steamVR, you get an impossible absurd interpolated resolution of around 4x4k pixels per eye.

Last edited:
I have a dedicated machine with a 12900K and an RTX 3090 with a dedicated Asus WiFi 6 router for Virtual Desktop

I don't understand how gaming routers help with playing vam. I mean I've my ISP router that i get from ISP service provider. What do i do with Asus WiFI 6? Should i unplug my ISP router and plugin Asus Wifi6 instead? Or should i plug Asus WIFI6 into my pc or what? How does it work? Can someone explain like i'm 5?

Also have you tried ALVR? I heard Pico has color see through so it should be works fine.

I don't understand how gaming routers help with playing vam. I mean I've my ISP router that i get from ISP service provider. What do i do with Asus WiFI 6? Should i unplug my ISP router and plugin Asus Wifi6 instead? Or should i plug Asus WIFI6 into my pc or what? How does it work? Can someone explain like i'm 5?

Also have you tried ALVR? I heard Pico has color see through so it should be works fine.
In my opinion I think you can connect the new secondary router to a free ethernet port of your ISP terminal
(so you can still use the internet access of your old primary router-modem)
then after you can choose wich wireless access you want and when you play, probably (but not a duty) better if you close wi-fi on any other wireless terminal you have at home (reserving wifi 6 access just for the headset mac address) to skip eventual interferences . I have (besides my ISP toy-router) a very good dual-band asus model I was using for other motivations some years ago, anyway it's not for the cost of a new pico or even worst of a zukkiniberg meta, that I prefere millions times a wired VR: :p there is no technical or tube video or other documented evidence about the presumed (so high???) quality of compressed 3d graphics stuffed in the air instead of a good old display port cable. And yes I would like to forget my reverb g2 if there was at least a real identical quality result with a stand-alone apparat like pico4. I am hopefully waiting for the next zukkini-meta3 to change opinion, eventually.

Last edited:
In my opinion I think you can connect the new secondary router to a free ethernet port of your ISP terminal
(so you can still use the internet access of your old primary router-modem)
then after you can choose wich wireless access you want and when you play, probably (but not a duty) better if you close wi-fi on any other wireless terminal you have at home (reserving wifi 6 access just for the headset mac address) to skip eventual interferences . I have (besides my ISP toy-router) a very good dual-band asus model I was using for other motivations some years ago, anyway it's not for the cost of a new pico or even worst of a zukkiniberg meta, that I prefere millions times a wired VR: :p there is no technical or tube video or other documented evidence about the presumed (so high???) quality of compressed 3d graphics stuffed in the air instead of a good old display port cable. And yes I would like to forget my reverb g2 if there was at least a real identical quality result with a stand-alone apparat like pico4. I am hopefully waiting for the next zukkini-meta3 to change opinion, eventually.

My pc has wifi reciever which is TP link. Should i use lan instead of wifi reciever?

My pc has wifi reciever which is TP link. Should i use lan instead of wifi reciever?
I use ethernet cable for my desktop: it's a life change even because I am surrounded by some hundreds wi-fi connections (shops, neighbours, offices) ... I can't forget all the troubles I had in the past even with the best adapters and routers. My windows system had never malware, wrong settings with anti virus (I know people screaming about issues and they got installed a lot of crapware supposed to be "security protections") or other shitware besides the microsoft defender... still even since with the good old windows 7, I was periodically suffering issues with the wireless.

Have you tried passthrough mod on pico4?

I just ordered a Pico 4 on the Christmas 6-game bundle deal. Will see how it performs with VAM some time over next two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom