Question Pico 4 hand tracking - How to make it work

Shirouste

Reactions
Is it possible to use hand tracking feature using the Pico 4?

I managed to enable it and it works inside Pico 4's UI, but they won't show in VaM.

I have enable the hand tracking and put the controllers out of view but my hands won't show in-game.

I'm using Virtual Desktop to stream the game from the PC.

I'm far from being an expert, but my understanding is that when you run VaM, whether via Virtual Desktop or the Pico streaming program, it opens an instance of Steam VR and runs VaM through that... And to the best of my knowledge, Steam doesn't yet support headset-native Hand Tracking.

I may be wrong, and I'd be thrilled to be corrected if I am, because I suspect the experience of VaM VR with Hand Tracking would be absolutely amazing...

But as far as I know, it's not available for Pico or Quest.

Upvote 0
Can you point me to a guide for using hand tracking in ALVR on the Quest 2? I'll give it a try for the Pico 4.
I only had to enable hand tracking on Quest 2, and it started working in VAM automatically.
Just make sure hand tracking works on Pico 4, connect to VAM using ALVR and it will work, I think

Upvote 0
I just got out of VaM in ALVR on my Quest, and hand tracking worked -- sort of. I found that the various control mappings listed in the ALVR FAQ didn't work at all, and even the listed controls didn't have a way to emulate the joysticks, which are pretty important in navigating through scenes. Hopefully, these issues will be updated.

Using the controls to get into and into position, then putting them down to activate the hand tracking, the experience was pretty amazing... But also frustrating, because hand tracking is really limited by its nature: when you're "touching" a character, you want to be able to use your fingers individually -- you want to use your thumbs to gently slide... things... apart. (You know what I mean.) You want to be able to curl your middle finger up inside... places. But hand tracking as it exists doesn't allow that level of individual finger control. That's something else I'm hoping will be upgraded in the future. A full, ten-finger hand tracking system, be it part of the headset's OS, an app, or a plugin, would be glorious!

I've also gone into VaM through ALVR on my Pico 4, but I haven't been able to get hand tracking to work with it. Again, I have to hope for an upgrade.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom