Persistent VaM_Updater.exe "Fatal Error"

Schniedelwutz

Reactions
Persistent VaM_Updater.exe "Fatal Error" - inconsistent in various Files, almost every time using "Sync/Repair All".
I am using a VPN and have tried all possible settings, but the problem doesn't seem to be related to the VPN as it also occurs without VPN and on different Internet Connections. So I guess it may be a local problem with my Laptop?

Sometimes - after many tries - the Sync runs through and I can start VaM VR via Virtual Desktop. But sadly, after ending that session, VaM doesn't start up again or crashes early on and then again VaM_Updater.exe "Sync/Repair All" says various files need redownloading for having bad/wrong Hashes.
Every time it may redownload many GigaBytes of Files and is severely using up my Internet package.

What could be the reason for that?
Is it possible for an AddOn to mess with the basic VaM Files/Code?
Are there malicious AddOns known?

Is it just me having these issues?
Or what am I doing wrong?

--
Asus TUF F15 i7-12700H, 32GB, RTX4060 MobileGPU, Win11
VaM-Build: V1.22.0.3, Updater/Launcher: V2.7.0.0, BetaOptIn

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    14 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 3.png
    Screenshot 3.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Do you get the same error after a desktop only session. You can try updating in a new folder then migrate your contents over to that new folder. Were you having any issues before you decided to update/repair? If you can pinpoint when you started having problems I would say remove any vars/files added to vam during that time and try and see if you are having the same issues still. Butt it may be too late seeing you already moved on with a repair so I don't know if that may obstruct testing what I suggested....Do a fresh install in a new folder if you can I'll say.

Do you get the same error after a desktop only session. You can try updating in a new folder then migrate your contents over to that new folder. Were you having any issues before you decided to update/repair? If you can pinpoint when you started having problems I would say remove any vars/files added to vam during that time and try and see if you are having the same issues still. Butt it may be too late seeing you already moved on with a repair so I don't know if that may obstruct testing what I suggested....Do a fresh install in a new folder if you can I'll say.
Thank you so much for your reply @murn (BTW thanks for "Yua" :) )
Yes, I am building/using and programming computer since 1979 and therefore have tried to eliminate such reasons, like newly downloaded *.vars, messing up the installation and also whether the VR (Virtual Desktop or SteamVR) or other things may be to blame.
Therefore I made a new VaM installation into a new folder, ran initially only the provided Test/Benchmark *.bat files and then the provided Teaser files only in Desktop mode and exited VaM after every Test/Teaser.
Still, even then, after running the (third or so) TeaserScene, VaM refused to start by crashing without notice (which I hate that Windows does this shit and doesn't collect or is showing information about the App or that it crashed in the first place). I tried starting VaM again and was then surprised by a dreaded BSoD.
When I then - for the first time on this new Installation - ran the Updater's Sync/RepairAll Option, several files needed repair and some even re-redownloading, which again failed with the one in the Screenshot.

I do consider that there is something wrong with my unloved Windows installations, but all other Applications and even huge 3D Files and MovieProjects run on Blender without any flaws, which should rule out issues with the drives. I just now tested VaM running on the well working other 2TB SSD, which I always use for cutting the final videos without any issues either. Still the VaM Updater shows the same behaviour.
Running nvme-cli showed no issues with either SSD drives and bad blocks -v /dev/nvme*** also did not come up with any problems.

There may be one big issue that I cannot change, and that is from where I access the Internet. I am living in South Asia now .. a loong way and many Internet Node hops away from the CDN storage in the US. Although my connection is with up to 300mbit/s good enough and stable (the Updater reaches 25MByte/s without VPN), could it be that this may be a reason for problems with the Updater? Then again this would not explain, why a new installation that initially worked fine, would suddenly break without any introduction/change/download of new VaM content or using additional software like the VR "displays".

For most of the things I do, I use Linux or BSD without issues.
Since VaM and some other VR stuff forces me back to use Windows, which I did leave behind almost two decades ago, my newly discovering experience with MicroSoft's FieldTestOnUsers (usually called Windows) throws again all the reasons back into my face why I have had left in the first place.
BTW my current Windows Installation is new and empty. Though the Problems with VaM continued without having yet any Software installed except the VirtualDesktopStreamer. So I would rule out interference with other programs.
My plight goes on for a while now and I tried what I could think of to make VaM work consistently, but am out of my depth.

I don't know what else to look for now.
Any hidden logs that Windows tries to keep from its users?
Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Several people have reported here that XMP causes instability in Vam. Do you have that enabled? Even if other programs run fine, Vam seems able to find these marginal vulnerabilities. Overclocking might be a weakness too. Try setting your BIOS back to factory defaults, with XMP off.

Back
Top Bottom