Other character stares up at ghost eyes when I use VAM in VR while seated.

Lumsculpt

Reactions
I'm loading up scenes with single characters, and they stare at a pair of ghost eyes above me when I'm seated. I tried using the posession mechanic to posess the eyes above me, but nothing happens (not entirely sure I'm doing it right since there is almost no feedback when you fail). I got the character to lock eyes with me once, but then I loaded a new scene and can't do it again.

Does anyone know how to get the character to look at me? Maybe even set it to do so by default instead of having to do a trick every time? I'm new at VAM, so you might have to break it down simply. Thank you.

You can set what a character looks at in the AutoBehaviors tab. By default this should be set to "Player". However, maybe you loaded some Look/Appearance/Preset that has this set to "Target", which makes the character look at it's "eyeTargetControl".

Note that this just moves the eyes themselves. If you want the head to turn as well, you need some Gaze plugin. For example the one included in my Life plugin collection. Just add the MacGruber_Life.cslist to your character if you want breathing and gaze, or just the MacGruber_Gaze.cs, if you want just that and use something else for breathing idle. The Gaze plugin also has an option to look at either the Player or the EyeTarget.

1609338461438.png

Note that this just moves the eyes themselves. If you want the head to turn as well, you need some Gaze plugin. For example the one included in my Life plugin collection. Just add the MacGruber_Life.cslist to your character if you want breathing and gaze, or just the MacGruber_Gaze.cs, if you want just that and use something else for breathing idle. The Gaze plugin also has an option to look at either the Player or the EyeTarget.

Thank you for your help. Also I use your plugins and when I got the character to look at me, it was a really cool experience! Thank you for putting those together. You've contributed so much to making it feel more real.

Last edited:
Hey MacGruber you may be able to help me too, I have a similar problem.
The 'Eyes look at' button IS set to player. Lumscuplt mentions a pair of ghost eyes, this is what characters look at in my scenes, there is a kinda bar across them, and it seems to me that they should match where my actual headset is in the 3d space?

What I can't do is figure out how to make that happen.

I have oculus rift, I reset it up and it made no difference.

Is there some setting somewhere that recalibrates or realigns my actual headset with the ghost image I'm referring to?

@booyakshaka Please check the following, precisely in this order. Please report any potential error messages you might encounter during the following:
  1. If you have VaM already running, quit and restart it.
  2. In the Top Menu, press the "Open Default Scene" button:
    • 1609707901260.png
  3. Switch to Edit Mode (Press E)
  4. Make SURE you DON'T have any "Session Plugins" running. Make sure you don't have any other weird plugins that somehow keep running during scene changes.
    • 1609707076340.png
  5. Open the Life02 scene from MacGruber.Life.10, it should be installed by default:
    • (If you happen to have Life.11 or .12, you can also open LifeDemo_SimpleBreathing....it's essentially the same scene.)
    • 1609707307873.png
  6. The character eyes should look at you in this scene. (In addition the head turns and the character is breathing...but that's what the Life plugin does here)
  7. If this still doesn't work in VR, please try in VaM desktop mode by launching VaM (Desktop Mode).bat in the same folder as the VaM.exe

Booya I also found this bug with my Rift (Turn off (M) Monitor view on your desktop. When you put your head-set back on, the eyes will be looking at you again (not above). The game is getting confused and looking at the center of your monitor instead. (Can be easily recreated by toggling the desktop view, its just became habit for me now to turn if off while I reach for the headset)

Hi MacGruber thanks very much for taking the time for this.

I did every step with no problems, ie no plugins installed etc, but the ghost eyes remain offset to the side and a bit above me.

Then brainwave struck me, I had also made a virt-a-mate folder with no additions, the one i had been working/playing with had esaymate IV loaded and quite a bit of stuff from the community hub.

In the clean folder, there was no problem at all, and your (lovely!) character was indeed looking at me! She might not have given me a wink, but she wasn't looking for an exit either so definitely win there :)

I've been a bit of a kid in a candy shop and just filled my pockets with anything I can grab, think it's time I slowed down, and tested each thing before I go crazy!

thanks once again for your help and time!

Oh thanks Brody will try that too! Will update, I saw this reply just before I was gonna go delete all the additional content, will save a headache if it works!

I do in fact tend to switch between monitor on/off, maybe I've confused it one to many times

Update for Brody_09 & MacGruber

I restarted the version i had with all the extra content, and didn't do what I normally do which is use the scene browser etc from monitor view, and there were no floaty eyes, and characters were looking at me fine.

Thanks both so much for help, really appreciated!

You can continue to switch between monitor and headset without reloading the scene. But when the eyes go weird, its just a reminder I forgot to turn off the monitor focus again :) Glad you got it sorted!

Back
Top Bottom