[Fixed] VaM fills up unrelated hard drive when in use?

haleytakeba

Reactions
Good afternoon VaM friends! I've been looking all over for answers to this so forgive me if this has been covered, but I couldn't find any help. I'll try to be as detailed as possible for clarity's sake.

So I've got two main hard drives, a 500gb SSD (C: ) and a 1TB HDD (F: ). Windows 10 is installed on the SSD and Virt-a-Mate is on the HDD in its own folder outside of Program Files, Steam etc. For space purposes I don't (knowingly) have anything related to VaM on the SSD. However, I've noticed lately that whenever I use VaM, for some reason unbeknownst to me, it begins to fill the SSD as it loads in new models or scenes. For example:

Here's what my hard drive situation is like before booting VaM.

r/VAMscenes - VaM fills up unrelated hard drive when in use?
And after booting VaM and fully loading a single Look, here's what it drops to.

As I said, the folder VaM.exe is in is on the HDD (F:). I also have made sure not to have caching on, as shown here.

(The Look used is Keeanna Deorr from ChicoSuave )

When keeping this scene open, the storage will fluctuate a few MBs but doesn't ever fix itself, until I close the VaM program. Opening another VaM scene will result in more storage being taken up, but in this instance opening the one scene pictured filled up the whole hard drive. I'm a bit afraid to experiment with what happens when it completely fills up, but from previous experience it seems like VaM crashes. Upon closing VaM, the storage shoots back down.

However, as you can see, it did still take up over a gig of data as if it did cache something. If there's a folder it's secretly caching stuff in, though, I can't for the life of me find it. I checked my storage in Windows and it seems like that could be the result of an error dump (there was a System error memory dump file that was 1.26GB), but that doesn't explain why it fills while VaM is in use. I'm not super computer savvy but my immediate guess is some sort of memory leak. I thought that somewhere my VaM files may be corrupted but I've used the repair feature available in the launcher right before posting this, to no results. And I have had more space open on the SSD beforehand with similar results - I've watched VaM eat 20 whole gigs of my SSD previously. Also, in case anyone is wondering, I do have 24gigs of RAM so this shouldn't be any sort of overflow reaction to low physical memory.

I've deleted the Cache folder in the VaM folder multiple times, as well as anything involving caching in the folder as a whole, checked on and off in the VaM settings for it to use caching, and tried everything else I've seen suggested by forums. My next option I'm going to try is redownloading VaM and replacing the files with a fresh download, in the chance that any files are corrupted and resulting in a memory leak. I'm posting this here before trying that to see if anyone has any better ideas, or if redownloading does work, I'll edit this post to let anyone else with a similar issue know. If this post doesn't get updated soon, assume that didn't work and I still need help.

I really appreciate any and all help in advance! For what could have caused this, earlier this year I did have to reinstall Windows (long story) and reinstalled VaM afterwards. Previously VaM never did this, and after reinstalling Windows I didn't use VaM often since I got bored of it and some hardware issues made using VaM unappealing - any time I used VaM post-reinstall, I didn't notice this happening but it could have been. Now that I have better hardware, I wanna play around with VaM some more and this memory thing has been a definite obstacle there. It happens in both desktop and VR mode if that helps. It doesn't happen with any other game or program, just VaM.

If anyone else has experienced this and knows how to fix it or just has suggestions, let me know! Also if you need any extra info lemme know as well. Thanks again!

Update: The issue was due to the Swap File in Windows 10 being on my SSD and my storage space being so low (I've since fixed this issue.) This also wasn't just a Virt-a-Mate issue but something any game with large texture loads uses, and I've only just learned this as aside from VaM I usually just play old-ass PC games that could run on a smartphone nowadays. Mods can lock the thread or delete it if need be - but I'll leave it up myself in case anyone else runs into the issue!

Back
Top Bottom