Openxr now works with vam

Hi All, I got OpenComposite working wonderfully and thought I'd quickly share how:

Machine specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
GPU - AMD Radeon 7900 XTX with driver 23.7.2
Headset: HP Reverb G2 using the controllers that came with the headset

If in the past you ever tried the vrperfkit and you still have the dxgi.dll file in the VAM directory, go ahead and rename it to something like dxgi_nonactive.dll to disable it.

Also, if at some point you've tried the fsr mod, go into VAM/VaM_Data/Plugins, find the openvr_api.dll and if it's the fsr mod version of the file, rename it to be openvr_api_openfsr.dll to disable it. Normally you would then re-enable the default VAM openvr_api.dll file, but in this case do not, keep reading below.

@miketruck69 mentioned in a prior reply about the skyrim mod version of openvr_api.dll. This particular version has a few extra parameters that it accepts, and important for Reverb G2 owners, are these:
leftDeadZoneSize = 0.2
rightDeadZoneSize = 0.2

Download the skyrim dll file and place it into VAM/VaM_Data/Plugins/openvr_api.dll.
Also, in the VAM folder, create a blank text document called opencomposite.ini and place the left/right "DeadZoneSize" lines in it as shown above.

Download the "OpenComposite Runtime Switcher (OpenXR)" app. When you launch it, click the button "Switch to OpenComposite".

Launch VAM by using the VaM_Updater.exe, and then clicking on the "Launch VR" button. For me on the G2 headset sitting in the windows Cliffhouse, for some reason my G2 controllers are unable to "click" the "Launch VR" button, so I do that with the mouse.

Instead of the black Steam VR load screen, you'll be greeted with the white/blue triangles of the Windows Mixed-Reality Open XR launcher. For some reason, it usually does this three or four times in a row... as far as I can tell, that is normal or necessary for some reason, but after a few times, you'll find yourself in VAM, with fully functional controllers including joystick navigation (although, see note below).

This is a MASSIVE boost in performance. Night and day difference! Totally worth the trouble! You can tweak things on the open composite menu (F2 on your keyboard).

A note on the controllers: Most of the time, they work perfectly. Now and then the game will launch and the little dots that represent the controllers on the menus will be visible, but the buttons won't work to select anything. I am not sure exactly why it does this, but the best observation I have is that it may have something to do with pressing a button on the controller while the game is still launching into VR. If you encounter this issue, just try to "Launch VR" from the VaM_Updater.exe a few more times in a row, and I am betting after about five times or so, you will eventually discover that your controllers work exactly how they should.

Another note is that most other instructions would tell you to either use the skyrim mod's DLL file, or, to use Open Composite's DLL file, but not both of them together like I have done above. And technically they might be correct, but for the Reverb G2 controllers, I believe combining the two like above is a good scenario in order to fix the controller drift by using the "dead zone" updates that were added to the skyrim mod as an intermediary before that DLL passes control along to the OpenComposite DLL (at least that's how I am imaging it works). It's probably worth noting that, as shown above, I did NOT do an application-specific install of OpenComposite. Rather, I did an application-specific install of the skyrim DLL file, and a global enabling of OpenComposite, which can be easily turned off if needed for other games later.

It should also be noted that in the above configuration, I am not seeing an option for fixed-foveated rendering on the F2 menu in the open composite settings. I see this in other games, but perhaps the skyrim DLL has somehow disabled this, I am not sure. It would be nice to have if that can be figured out, but controllers that work (and also don't drift!) is more important.

I hope this helps someone. Let me know your experience with this approach if you try it.

Works for me... but I'm not getting any performance gain at all.

I think Openxr is running at a much high resolution because everything seems sharper?

imho, it sounds so fair, specially when people playing with rtx4090 (!... and what else?? 🤣) they claim a huge (?) improvement.

ps: saying that from my "low-end" (but still very good) i7 13700k/rtx3080 performance. With full original vamized fapping-dll.
ps: and graphic details oon my reverb g2 ...the same, amazing, low-end but extra-fapping performance 😇

Last edited:
No luck on mine using @Plunty 's method. It definitely got me further than any of my other attempts, but still no button response after VAM loads. I did notice however that it loads 10x faster as opposed to opening with steam. This would definintely be a game changer if I can manage to get the buttons to work. And I agree @emmaqq , everything looks much sharper. Colors seem a little richer as well

that is my persistent curiosity on this argument topic (hp reverb ...minority reports) : the lack of interest about negative effects of that damned steam crapware, about the best vr headset (for the graphic 4k quality related to its price) we can use for fun with vam, no interest from meshed professional team.

By the way: for me the skyrim mod it is working (I was meticolusly following @Plunty method)... but only if I block that vertical drunk scene "gravity fall" to a fixed level with vam settings (so loosing the free possibility to adjust any scene vertical point of view with my reverb g2 headset middle stick).

Interesting (a lot) the possibility to start vam WITHOUT (glory allelu...!) that horror mess violently obliged crapware (steamVR, steam bazar scrap games etc.). But there is no way ... I could not activate that file .ini option (because of who knows wich compatiblility issue...) my vam refuses to start if I put that .ini file in vam data > plugin folder or in vam main folder (I was trying both directory after the first failure). Real pity. I was not really needing so much improvements or better performance (my vam was going always like a young mustang even with 3080/i713700k) ... I would just see the day when meshed will decide to give help with this morality argument (that invasive steam crapware) even if I understand it's a shit job caring about a minority field of headset users.

Last edited:
I wonder, do the people seeing a large performance gain have the steam HOME environment turned off in the steam VR settings, doing that gave me lots of performance in skyrim vr with my WMR headset, I also switched the giant microsoft cliff house environment into a super lightweight environment.... these 2 things will give you tons of VRAM back...

follow this guide and you will get GIGS of VRAM back...

I wonder, do the people seeing a large performance gain have the steam HOME environment turned off in the steam VR settings, doing that gave me lots of performance in skyrim vr with my WMR headset, I also switched the giant microsoft cliff house environment into a super lightweight environment.... these 2 things will give you tons of VRAM back...

follow this guide and you will get GIGS of VRAM back...
thanks for the useful tips, of course. I was also setting offline what I could when my steamvr pita crapware app was restored
(after trying to use the nice lovely OpenComposite Runtime Switcher, not without psychological fantastic
feelings even after that issue with vam-scene vertical move.... not having to see steamgangsterscrapware related stuff in my pc it is still just a dream) .

Another negative point of topic on HP company pretending that reverb is a headset they care so much (but they need "absolutely" so much Valve gang crapware to activate a wmr headset for gaming).

In the next period (maybe in some years or months from today) I will give another try to Mc @Plunty method : that erotic feeling I was getting when my vam fun was starting magically without the steam-vr, and everything working besides the reverb stick controller issue, was too much charming for me.

Last edited:
Has anyone successfully managed to get this working on a Pimax headset? I have the 8KX, followed all the above instructions and VAM starts in desktop mode with the headset just displaying the static Pimax logo.

I have a Pimax Crystal, and this works following Plunty's guide. IMO, the secret sauce was running Vamupdate.exe and launching VR that way, for some reason the vam openVr. bat file crashed.

I have the same problem, did you solved it?

also I have this error View attachment 241939
That specific error appear cause in the .bat file u have the option "-openvr". Delete it.

leave only: START "VaM" VaM.exe -vrmode

After u do that, just run the bat file normally.

"IF" after that u encounter problems like game being stuck loading forever before showing anything at all (happen with the G2 mostly)
follow these steps:

0) Be sure u applied the custom .dll posted few comments above.
1) Be sure u applied the opencomposite.ini with the deadzone fixes (only if u have a G2 or you keep sliding in game) .
2) Shut off the controllers.
3) Don't wear the headset (if u have the G2 u can wear it temporarly on the forehead but DON'T press win+y to redirect the displaying on the vr).
4) Run the game from the bat file (be sure u removed the -openvr option).
5) Wait the game to load until u start to see on the bottom corner of the game screen on the desktop, the vam buttons to toggle the menus.
6) Wear the VR.
7) If u have the G2 now press WIN+Y to redirect the video to the VR
8) Turn on the controllers.
9) Play.

To the other guy saying that removing the option openvr mean u're not using opencomposite at all, pretty sure u're wrong, cause even the opencomposite log file start dumping succesfully and in game u can see the fps increase aswell. (for my personal experience +10fps for vam, and between 10-20 more for other games).

Weirdly enough, I tried it again and the controls just worked pretty much as they should. Then next time I loaded it they didn't, then next time they did again. So not sure what's going on, but at least I have it usable if I just keep loading it.

The only control that wasn't bound was holding the A button to view targets, but that was fixable with KeyBindings - just bound Toggle Targets to the stick click (which I actually like better as a way of doing it I think).
Yes, this is still quite buggy.

Back
Top Bottom