New rig (32 GB RAM + 6800 XT) crashing non-stop [SOLVED]

_onyx_

Reactions
EDIT 3 [SOLVED]: RAM go brrrrrr, I guess. I reboot my PC and downclocked the RAM through the BIOS to 3800. Been working like a dream ever since <3. Good luck friends!

EDIT 2 : All I really want to know is _where_ are the crash reports? ~~I'm not getting anything; VAM just closes.~~ See `C:\Users\YourName\AppData\LocalLow\MeshedVR\VaM` and `C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Temp\MeshedVR\VaM\Crashes`

EDIT 1: fix typo
Friends,

I recently upgraded my PC to enjoy VAM with my new Oculus 3. However, I am consistently crashing and am having trouble diagnosing the issue. I can reproduce the crash by loading a non-default scene and playing around in edit mode. No particular edit or action will consistently trigger the crash, but it crashes every session when editing atoms; sometimes when browsing clothing, sometimes when loading plugins, etc.

When VAM crashes there is a freeze, followed by a brief flash of a window pop-up that has the VAM logo and a progress bar. Then everything disappears. There doesn't appear to be an error message or crash report. A brief glance in the "logs" directory has only a un-related file inside it.

New system:
- AMD 5 7600 cpu
- 2x Trident Z5 16GB 6000MT/s DDR5 ram
- ASUS Prime b650-PLUS mobo
- 6800 XT Radeon GPU 16GB
- 2T M2 SSD
- 1T SSD
- 1T HD
- Windows 11

Prior to this I ran VAM with no issues, aside from poorer image quality, on:
- AMD 7 2700X cpu
- 2x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 ram 3600 MHz
- Gigabyte b450M DS3H mini atx mobo
- GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
- 1T SSD
- 1T HD
- Windows 10

The installation location is the same: C:\VAM.

Running AMD profiling during the crash indicates no GPU performance issues; it does report a high of 24 GB of RAM being used but it doesn't appear to correlate with when the crash occurs (this is just me eyeballing the overlay when it crashes).

Any suggestions on how to go about getting clues as to what the issue is?

Finally, FWIW, things tried that didn't help:
- adjusting VAM memory optimization settings
- adjusting performance, e.g., cycling through presets high, mid, and low
- doing a hard reset before loading any scene
- clearing the load cache
- pleading with my system to work this time after rebooting

EDIT: fixed a typo

Last edited:
All I want to know is "why" VAM is crashing. A crash report. A Stack trace. Anything. There doesn't appear to be any information to tell me what the problem is.

Check C:\Users\YourName\AppData\LocalLow\MeshedVR\VaM\output_log.txt

The errors are at the end.

Thank you so much :). Now I can debug the issue.
Do you run fast timings on your RAM? Disable any XMP profile in your bios and see if the error still occurs.
Avoid any overlocking in general, your system is fast enough

Do you run fast timings on your RAM? Disable any XMP profile in your bios and see if the error still occurs.
Avoid any overlocking in general, your system is fast enough
This.

I reboot my BIOS and downclocked my RAM to 3800 mhz. Runs perfectly smooth now. No crashes and beautiful graphics. I'll update the thread title and add an edit. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom