• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

New Quest 2 user - assume Im a retard

groinc

Reactions
I wonder if you kindly folk could point me to a point by point idiot proof way of getting wireless Vam running on a new Quest2 headset?
Every guide I have followed has either missed criticial steps or simply didnt work. I will even paypal someone 20 British pounds if they can produce a method that works.
I previously ran VAM succesfully on Samsung WMR headset with no issues - literally plug and play. But no luck with Quest.

Thank you guys!

I wonder if you kindly folk could point me to a point by point idiot proof way of getting wireless Vam running on a new Quest2 headset?
Every guide I have followed has either missed criticial steps or simply didnt work. I will even paypal someone 20 British pounds if they can produce a method that works.
I previously ran VAM succesfully on Samsung WMR headset with no issues - literally plug and play. But no luck with Quest.

Thank you guys!
You should ve able to download the oculus software to your pc, add vam to the library and open it from inside your headset. I use a cable so i can open bigger scenes

No need to pay for this, we are all here to help.

If you want to go real simple, first thing is to wirelessly link your quest to your PC. As Matt said above, download the oculus quest 2 software on your PC, should be a free download from the oculus website.

once that is downloaded go to the airlink setting in your quest 2 headset and pair the two (they will connect once your Oculus PC software is up to date and on the same Wi-Fi as your headset) inside the headset you should see your PC as an option and click connect.

Once in airlink you should open VAM as you normally would and it should open without needed steamVR or anything else.

there are many other ways to do it, many users love Virtual Desktop but I still find airlink to be the easiest, dummy proof and least finicky way to play.

I’ll be back on tomorrow so if you run into more issues just post them, we can all guide you in for free.

Thanks guys - Ive already gone down the Virtual Desktop route because I heard airlink and associated software is 'bloatware' and ad filled - Im assuming this is true because of FB etc but I'd love to hear your opinion.
Currently, via VD in the Quest, I am running a bat file that someone kindly recomended - it has actually worked, but with Steam VR kicking in.

I'd like to know if there is a perfomance difference in anyway because I'm hearing conflicting opinions.
Plus, because I'd like to know if vam shows up as being played to my freinds and contacts.

Many thanks.

From my understanding the alerts to your facebook contacts depends on your settings when you first setup your Quest 2. I turned all the privacy settings on max, so it shouldn't be notifying anyone of anything. I'm not going to assume for a second that they aren't harvesting meta data, but it should not be sending any notifications about VAM. from my understanding, even if it accidentally DID send a notification, it would only be showing that you are in Virtual Desktop, not necessarily the program (VAM) that you are operating in.

I'm a weirdo in that my system seems to really prefer Airlink. I have both Airlink and Virtual Desktop, and even when VD loads correctly and without SteamVR it still has significant lag and stuttering/FPS drop as compared to Airlink. The colors seem to be just slightly dimmer as well. I'm sure I could mess with all of the settings and get it running optimally, but Airlink just works so well I don't even bother. If anyone has recommendations on how to optimize Virtual Desktop I would be very open to switching.

I was just kidding but i created a second account just in case. My original quest was never required to sign in.

Thanks for input and guys - I'm finally enjoying vam through the Quest wirelessly. I may put together a guide myself so all the infomation is one place. Thanks again.

Umm what? From my understanding that i can play vam on quest 2 that vam running on my pc? How foes this work? Does pc render vam then stream it to quest 2 over wifi?

Umm what? From my understanding that i can play vam on quest 2 that vam running on my pc? How foes this work? Does pc render vam then stream it to quest 2 over wifi?
The PC renders and the headset displays it. You can use a link cable to aid in the data transfer if you are running big scenes

The PC renders and the headset displays it. You can use a link cable to aid in the data transfer if you are running big scenes

Is there a drawbacks when using wifi? Like quality or lags fps drops etc? What will happen if i use big scene? Does it load slow or why do i need to use cable

Is there a drawbacks when using wifi? Like quality or lags fps drops etc? What will happen if i use big scene? Does it load slow or why do i need to use cable
Yes, it will shutter if you have a big scene, cable solves that .

When you say "stutter" are you referring to the thing SteamVR does where it jitters back and forth between 2 frames rather than render a new one?
If so, Using Virtual Desktop direct and NOT steamVR at all solved this completely for me. I get no stuttering at all.
It was actually causing me physical pain and I swear would cause epilepsy sufferers an incident.
I swapped to Virtual Desktop without SteamVR and there is no stutter. Sometimes it pauses (stays on one frame) but you can still turn your head (blackness in the previously out of view area) and it doesn't flash/flicker back and forth at all.

I have not used SteamVR for VaM since.

I can report that playing wirelessly has been a total success. I have a reasonably powerful PC, certainly not top spec. But I have a good quality 5ghz router that sends the scenes smoothly to my Quest. And while it is recommended that the router should be in the same room as your vr space, I have succesfully set up my entire apartment to use as vr space, with amazing results. Not gonna lie, I'm utterly blown away by the price to results ratio that the Quest provides. I am never going back to wired, full stop lol.

Yeah, I agree with groinc. I use Wireless all the time now. Never going back to the cable. I had more trouble with the link cable than I ever have with Virtual Desktop.
Battery life can be an issue, but honestly the freedom from wireless far outweigh the issue of battery life.

Yeah, I agree with groinc. I use Wireless all the time now. Never going back to the cable. I had more trouble with the link cable than I ever have with Virtual Desktop.
Battery life can be an issue, but honestly the freedom from wireless far outweigh the issue of battery life.
I dont use steam or virtual desktop

May I ask, as I´m currently on the same matter, how to control inside the VAM, cause my Oculus Controller dont work in it, I see where they are pointing at, but nothing happens when I click it.

May I ask, as I´m currently on the same matter, how to control inside the VAM, cause my Oculus Controller dont work in it, I see where they are pointing at, but nothing happens when I click it.
Use ABXY button rather than trigger

Back
Top Bottom