Hand and finger tracking for Quest 2

brasileirinho

Reactions
Hello there!

I started using ALVR instead of cable Link, and then I got surprised when my hands started moving when I placed the controllers away while playing. It can even detect every finger (the thumb doesn't work very well though).

I tried to make it work with cabled link, but I couldn't manage to do it. Is this a limitation of the Meta app or did I forget to make the appropriate configurations?

I would be very interested to know that as well. I have just started playing with VAM, using a cabled meta quest 2, and had heard I could turn on hand tracking, but I have not been able to figure it out? My other PC linked apps can use the hand tracking using a cable. Maybe I need to look at this text again, I didn't realize the setting they mentioned is inside virtual desktop! I thought it was inside VAM? " When you use Virtual Desktop to play Virt a Mate on your Meta Quest, you can enable hand tracking and play the experience without using your controllers at all. If you want to try Virt a Mate Hand Tracking, you just have to enable the option from the Input Settings from within Virtual Desktop. "

I would be very interested to know that as well. I have just started playing with VAM, using a cabled meta quest 2, and had heard I could turn on hand tracking, but I have not been able to figure it out? My other PC linked apps can use the hand tracking using a cable. Maybe I need to look at this text again, I didn't realize the setting they mentioned is inside virtual desktop! I thought it was inside VAM? " When you use Virtual Desktop to play Virt a Mate on your Meta Quest, you can enable hand tracking and play the experience without using your controllers at all. If you want to try Virt a Mate Hand Tracking, you just have to enable the option from the Input Settings from within Virtual Desktop. "
I did some research, and it looks like Airlink does not support hand tracking. Apparently, Virtual Desktop supports it, but not finger tracking. ALVR supports hand and finger tracking, so it's the best option to play, in my opinion. (it also does not use that awful asynchronous spacewarp)

So, I've installed ALVR on my PC and headset, they are connected. My question now is, do I do anything special to run VAM using ALVR? When I start the ALVR client on my headset, it starts up the steamvr home environment, and I accessed my desktop and ran vam from there. I got a startup screen for awhile, then I ended back in my regular meta quest 2 home environment. When I ran the ALVR app again, my VAM menu was there, but I tried loading a scene, and got a lot of jitter and stuff while it loaded, then it was very jittery after it loaded and just did not work well!

Also, one other question: when not using the controllers and using hand tracking, how does one move around the scene? TIA, Shady

So, I've installed ALVR on my PC and headset, they are connected. My question now is, do I do anything special to run VAM using ALVR? When I start the ALVR client on my headset, it starts up the steamvr home environment, and I accessed my desktop and ran vam from there. I got a startup screen for awhile, then I ended back in my regular meta quest 2 home environment. When I ran the ALVR app again, my VAM menu was there, but I tried loading a scene, and got a lot of jitter and stuff while it loaded, then it was very jittery after it loaded and just did not work well!

Also, one other question: when not using the controllers and using hand tracking, how does one move around the scene? TIA, Shady
ALVR has lots of options, but the default setting is awful. My suggestions are to limit the bitrate to 100Mbps, disable dynamic bitrate, use HEVC and TCP protocol. And do not use the nightly builds.

Don't forget to update to latest video card drivers (this is a must).

Other than that, you should seek help in their discord

ALVR has lots of options, but the default setting is awful. My suggestions are to limit the bitrate to 100Mbps, disable dynamic bitrate, use HEVC and TCP protocol. And do not use the nightly builds.

Don't forget to update to latest video card drivers (this is a must).

Other than that, you should seek help in their discord

Thank you for your post, really helped me setup ALVR allot easier.. I was curious though is there a way for the finger tracking to only use pinch and nothing else? , Currently it seems like the settings are: No Gestures, Or ALL Gestures, nothing really in between.. I still want to be able to grab things like with the oculus controllers but the other gestures get in the way.

Thank you for your post, really helped me setup ALVR allot easier.. I was curious though is there a way for the finger tracking to only use pinch and nothing else? , Currently it seems like the settings are: No Gestures, Or ALL Gestures, nothing really in between.. I still want to be able to grab things like with the oculus controllers but the other gestures get in the way.
Looks like it's all or nothing, sadly. But the wiki could be outdated. Check their discord; simply asking could prompt them to consider adding that option.

Back
Top Bottom