Question Natural sunlight

0001ca05

Reactions
Is there any way to set up a natural sunlight while not making the character looking weird?

You need a directional light source for the sun and matching sky and global illumination...or at least a fake version of the later. Check out SkyMagic, which is part of my Essentials plugin collection.

Upvote 0
You need a directional light source for the sun and matching sky and global illumination...or at least a fake version of the later. Check out SkyMagic, which is part of my Essentials plugin collection.

I use a spot with shadows enabled to recreate sunlight. I also use directional light source to bright up dark spots a little bit, but for sunlight I use a spot. Only downside is, when you have a very big environment, then you would be very limited with a spot light. But in my opinion, it's the best to recreate sunlight. But I think this is also situational and what kind of environment, you use. My best setup is, 1 spot for sunlight, 1 directional light for lighting up darker spots and then I have 4 spots left for the characters.

Here is a example, I put something together very fast. I'm only using 2 light sources.

With sunlight (spot) You can see the shadows from windows and other objects. And illuminates the sunlight directly on the character, just like real life.

1673713677.jpg

Without sunlight

1673713689.jpg

Sunlight (directional) You can see that the environment is a little bit brighter but no shadows from objects or windows.

1673714238.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use a spot with shadows enabled to recreate sunlight. I also use directional light source to bright up dark spots a little bit, but for sunlight I use a spot. Only downside is, when you have a very big environment, then you would be very limited with a spot light. But in my opinion, it's the best to recreate sunlight. But I think this is also situational and what kind of environment, you use. My best setup is, 1 spot for sunlight, 1 directional light for lighting up darker spots and then I have 4 spots left for the characters.

Here is a example, I put something together very fast. I'm only using 2 light sources.

With sunlight (spot) You can see the shadows from windows and other objects. And illuminates the sunlight directly on the character, just like real life.

View attachment 199617

Without sunlight

View attachment 199618

Sunlight (directional) You can see that the environment is a little bit brighter but no shadows from objects or windows.

View attachment 199619
thank you sir~

Upvote 0

View attachment 199617

Without sunlight

View attachment 199618

View attachment 199619
Hey, this is the house from the 2018 archviz Unity demo! Was it ported to VAM? Is it on the hub? I did a quick search, but did not find it.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom