Question Makeup textures vs clothing

henshin

Reactions
I can see there are some textures for makup but I also have lips, eye shadows etc as Clothes, so what is the difference between the 2 methods.

I'm not a creatir but I find much better the Clothing method, because you can remove, edit, load on any appearance etc

Solution
  • Textures are blended with the makeup OR decals. Which makes the final aspect either very nice if it's a full face texture or "kind of" properly blended with decals. Pro: you can make this work on every character. Cons: less tweaking freedom.
  • Clothes are a an invisible mesh over the character. The blend can be a bit more complex. Pro: tweaking freedom. Cons: can be glitchy on some chars.
  • Textures are blended with the makeup OR decals. Which makes the final aspect either very nice if it's a full face texture or "kind of" properly blended with decals. Pro: you can make this work on every character. Cons: less tweaking freedom.
  • Clothes are a an invisible mesh over the character. The blend can be a bit more complex. Pro: tweaking freedom. Cons: can be glitchy on some chars.

Upvote 0
Solution
Is there any tutorial to use Textures Makeup?
VAM Wiki to the rescue. "Decal Face" would be the texture slot in your instance.

As you can see by default VAM only offers a single decal "layer" per body region. If you want more layers inside VAM you need a plugin like Decal Maker which gives you something akin to the Layered Image Editor (LIE) in DAZ. That way you basically get the same freedom (more?) to mix and match as with clothing.

I only see two real benefits when using clothing makeup:
1. They can use separate UV maps which gives creators the possibility to waste less GPU memory / improve texture detail. Decal Maker closes the gap somewhat because it allows to position, rotate and scale decals before blending them with the skin but that feature is fiddly to use.
2. They use their own Unity material which is a requirement if you want to use EmissiveClothingPlus for something like glowing eyes or tattoos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never had problems with clothing makeup (maybe my chars are very similar/normal)

Is there any tutorial to use Textures Makeup?
This for example: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/vempire-makeup-pack.9998/
I don't know how to apply it

I'm not sure where you're going here :)

Was that a question initially (your first post)? or just opening a debate?
'coz if it's just for debating/chatting, then that thread is in the wrong place.

The Q&A section is more dedicated to a question/direct answer system.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom