Question Looking to purchase a new laptop to go with my Occulus Quest, which one should I get?

darkalex01

Reactions
I just purchased an Occulus Quest. Currently I have an older Mac, which I am looking to replace. I'm trying to stay around $1200 for a new laptop.

Here's one I was considering. Will this work? If you guys could cut and past links to laptops you think would work that would be ideal.
Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
Longest lasting VR-ready laptop
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7-4800HS, Ryzen 9-4900HS | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 or RTX 2060 Max-Q | RAM: 8GB/16GB | Storage: 512GB/1TB SSD | Display: 14-inch (1080p) | Size: 12.8 x 8.7 x 0.7 inches | Weight: 3.5 pounds

https://bestbuy.7tiv.net/c/221109/6..._4831&subId1=laptopmag-us-1111502250199106800
Killer AMD and Nvidia performance
Longest-lasting gaming laptop ever
Lightning fast SSD
Bright 120Hz display

For VR you need the fastest sytem you will get. It is much more demanding than flat games and needs more power than even most of the profi gamers needs. Though a "normal" gaming PC/Laptop would be most likely "enough" to run most VR apps, you would feel the need for a much faster system if you a bit deeper into VR and try to play the more ressouce hungry games. This holds true especially for VaM 1.X, because it is one of the most ressource demanding VR apps I know. It is most possible to somhow run VaM on this laptop at low settings, but you will feel enviousness for all the guys with 2080 (ti) and potent non-mobile-CPUs. Only if you will place the wish to be mobile over all other wishes, a laptop would be the first choice. In every other scenario a PC will win. For instance, a laptop can't be cooled the way like a PC. My old rig has 4 big fans plus two on the GPU and one in the 700W power unit, and playing VaM I have to run all of them in full speed. A mobile RTX 2060 is NOT equal to a non-mobile RTX 2060 (and this would be the minimum I would recommend right now). In addition to this, it is a very unfavourable time to buy a PC. I really don't want to be in your spot right now. In the next few weeks NVIDIA will bring out their new Ampere GPUs, that are rumored to be much faster than everything else. Even if you not aiming for this top GPUs, the prices of older GPUs will drop short after. AMD will bring out Big Navi end of the year, too.
Saying this, there are some guys with gaming laptops playing VaM and they are relatively happy. It is your choice.

Upvote 0
I think for load times & VAM CPU and SSD/M.2 is the most important plus a decent GPU. The game doesn't seem to draw on the GPU as much as some games/apps even in VR, desktop even less so, a mobile 2060 (or equiv) might be a good fit with a nice AMD CPU?

Just for example I (right now and antidotal) have running: 7days to die server, 6 Chrome tabs, Discord, 7 days to die on a 49" 1440p (high setting) screen at 40-70FPS, bunch of back ground stuff like virus/firewall, a monitoring app, mail program, steam, some work programs on a 4th screen and VAM on a 27in 1440p screen (capped at 60 fps) without any issues or studer. Load times seemed the same as always. GPU use is under 65% (peak 99), CPU total usage is under 45% (max 52%) with thread usage of max of 96% (2080ti, 3900x, m.2 storage, water, 64gb).

That is all to say: I'd wait for next gen GPUs (due out in months, prices will drop on older ones and new ones might have better mid level performance) with a new AMD 4000 series CPU (desktop or mobile) and some decent ram (16-32gb)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom