Kinect360ToVAM - Another cheap full body tracking option

Plugins Kinect360ToVAM - Another cheap full body tracking option

VeeRifter

Featured Contributor
Reactions
VeeRifter submitted a new resource:

Kinect360ToVAM - Another cheap full body tracking option - Uses a Microsoft XBox 360 Kinect V1.0 3D scanner to provide full body tracking data to VAM

After the release of the first plugin for the Kinect v2.0 I have since had several requests for a similar plugin which supports the XBox 360 Kinect v1.0 device. OK then VAM fans, here it is.
My experience when using it, is that tracking is not nearly as precise as that of the v2.0 and is more prone to jitters.
You have been warned, so don't complain if you are disappointed with its performance.
A Nyko Zoom Range...

Read more about this resource...

Great plugin, thanks. One question, i'm trying to use this in combination with your voicecontrol plug in (which is also great btw), but the "Kinect Tracking On" toggle doesn't show up under the voice-control. How do you expose the bool or other variables in plug-ins for voicecontrol to pick up? I'm looking at the code and it seems like only the variables declared under private gets picked up?

Thanks

Great plugin, thanks. One question, i'm trying to use this in combination with your voicecontrol plug in (which is also great btw), but the "Kinect Tracking On" toggle doesn't show up under the voice-control. How do you expose the bool or other variables in plug-ins for voicecontrol to pick up? I'm looking at the code and it seems like only the variables declared under private gets picked up?

Thanks
The 'Kinect Tracking On' toggle is not currently registered by the plugin, so it's value will not be saved in the scene.json or be available for triggers. Didn't think anyone would be using that toggle in such a way. I'll release an update shortly with that value registered.

Thanks for the quick update. Yeah I've always thought for us desktop users this is great since the Kinect also has the microphone built in so having the ability to use the voice control to toggle on and off the tracking is very useful since you're standing so far away from the computer with no VR controllers.

@Theuf
In response to your post in the 'Review' section. That's sounds like a hardware problem, not something wrong with the plugin. There are several things you can do to help diagnose your problem. Have you installed the correct Windows Driver ? Is your device listed as "Kinect for Windows" in Device Manager ? Is it's status shown as "This device is working properly." under the Properties tab ? Does the "Kinect360ToVAM.exe" server app display any status information, or does it just freeze with "Not Responding" ?

@Theuf
In response to your post in the 'Review' section. That's sounds like a hardware problem, not something wrong with the plugin. There are several things you can do to help diagnose your problem. Have you installed the correct Windows Driver ? Is your device listed as "Kinect for Windows" in Device Manager ? Is it's status shown as "This device is working properly." under the Properties tab ? Does the "Kinect360ToVAM.exe" server app display any status information, or does it just freeze with "Not Responding" ?
Everything seems to be in good working condition.. driver installed, listed in the device manager, when double clicking the kinect360tovam.exe. it opens a small windows that freeze and says not responding yes. I have tried different way with another tier program available DRIVER4VR. and made it work a moment.. but it wasnt working with VAM at all. Your plugins seems to be the key for it to work, ( for what kinect 360 is really lol ) ...the problem seems to be Hardware mostly. The kinect 360 green lights flashes...Trying to use that kinect as a camera in windows isnt working.... im out of ideas. Maybe its just broken... but i have 2 kinect 360 and both doing same thing.

Everything seems to be in good working condition.. driver installed, listed in the device manager, when double clicking the kinect360tovam.exe. it opens a small windows that freeze and says not responding yes. I have tried different way with another tier program available DRIVER4VR. and made it work a moment.. but it wasnt working with VAM at all. Your plugins seems to be the key for it to work, ( for what kinect 360 is really lol ) ...the problem seems to be Hardware mostly. The kinect 360 green lights flashes...Trying to use that kinect as a camera in windows isnt working.... im out of ideas. Maybe its just broken... but i have 2 kinect 360 and both doing same thing.
My green LED flashes constantly but the kinect still works. Try installing the Kinect for Windows SDK v1.8 as well as the basic driver.(You will be prompted to download the Developer Toolkit also during the install, but it's not required) I have the SDK installed and it could well make a difference to functionality.
This is what it looks like in my Device Manager with four items listed under Kinect for Windows:
DeviceManager.jpg
Also, here's a little app called SkeletonBasics compiled from the Dev Toolkit which does nothing but display the live skeleton. You can use it to test your Kinect 360.

Attachments

• SkeletonBasics.zip
    20.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My green LED flashes constantly but the kinect still works. Try installing the Kinect for Windows SDK v1.8 as well as the basic driver.(You will be prompted to download the Developer Toolkit also during the install, but it's not required) I have that installed and it could well make a difference. It contains a device driver as well and there is a possibility of a difference.
This is what it looks like in my Device Manager with four items listed under Kinect for Windows:
View attachment 73596
Also, here's a little app called SkeletonBasics compiled from the Dev Toolkit which does nothing but display the live skeleton. You can use it to test your Kinect 360.
Thank you so much, that sdk v1.8 was exactly what this needed to work. It works fine and the kinect is picking up the movement... as best as it can for a 360.. ( poor ) lol, but its working. ;) great work!

Thank you so much, that sdk v1.8 was exactly what this needed to work. It works fine and the kinect is picking up the movement... as best as it can for a 360.. ( poor ) lol, but its working. ;) great work!
Glad you got it working. Maybe you could change your review? in the light of your experience ?

hi, i have a 5 seconds lag delay since I move until that movement appears on the screen, any solution?

hi, i have a 5 seconds lag delay since I move until that movement appears on the screen, any solution?
Depends a lot on how busy your scene is, and the spec of your PC.
Try a bare miminimum scene with only one person atom and reduce VAM quality settings for best FPS.
Optional. Get a higher spec P.C.

Hello,
Just wondering if someone tried to use the kinect v1 and vam in a very small space (1mt) or standing/sitting only.
I ordered a refurbished one on amazon but then i checked better on the web and seems you need plenty of free space for it to work (i would need it mostly for hip tracking and little more)
I don't know if is possible to reduce the devicee zoom using software or else. Sadly, i don't have much space in my play room so, in case of negative answer is better i void the order before they even send it. I will never have a free 2mt x 2mt space
Thank you =)

EDIT: typos

Last edited:
Hello,
Just wondering if someone tried to use the kinect v1 and vam in a very small space (1mt) or standing/sitting only.
I ordered a refurbished one on amazon but then i checked better on the web and seems you need plenty of free space for it to work (i would need it mostly for hip tracking and little more)
I don't know if is possible to reduce the devicee zoom using software or else. Sadly, i don't have much space in my play room so, in case of negative answer is better i void the order before they even send it. I will never have a free 2mt x 2mt space
Thank you =)

EDIT: typos
There is a lens addon for the v1 which supposed to reduce the space needed but it's not very good. Better off cancelling.

first of all hello and thank you for your effort but my home does not work on windows 10

is your kinect sdk 1.8 and planned for windows 7 normal?

Back
Top Bottom