Kinect2VAM - Full body tracking on the cheap

Plugins Kinect2VAM - Full body tracking on the cheap

Apologies for being an ignorant pest but is there way to check if the drivers are installed correctly?

Have a look in Control Panel/Device Manager. You should be able to find the Kinect listed there somewhere. Right clicking on it will give you device properties, and opening the Driver tab from Properties will give info on installed driver.
However, the screenshot you posted indicates that the Kinect is being detected by your system.
I get the same unknown USB warning you have but my Kinect still works OK.
If that is the only warning you get then the Kinect should be OK.
Unfortunately your screenshot is cut off and doesn't show the rest of the verifier results.
i.e. Software install and Depth and Color Streams.
Here's mine.
Verifier.jpg
Kinect should be connected directly to a USB3 port on your PC, not via any third party hub. Try all of your PC's native USB ports, not just the one it is currently connected to.
If it's working correctly, when the Kinect is connected to a USB port the power supply LED changes from white to green.
Then after you run the Configuration Verifier, or any other of the demo apps in the SDK, the Kinect will light up The Xbox logo, and other LED's on its front.
What happens when you run some of the other apps in the SDK ?
Try running "ColorBasics-WPF" or "Color Basics-D2D". This should activate and display the Kinects webcam.

Last edited:
Thanks for your continued help and suggestions.

I have been going in circles for 3 days with this and am still nowhere.

The USB device warning notification 'device not recognised' in outlook will not go away and pulses on and off continuously.

I seem to have lost the Kinect sdk browser that was at least giving me the status you saw.

I have another v2 sensor coming tomorrow - maybe the problem really is the UK sourced sensor. I'm also going to install new PCI e ports tomorrow.

My brain just needs a rest from this very frustrating project.

The USB device warning notification 'device not recognised' in outlook will not go away and pulses on and off continuously.
Outlook ? Are you sure ? A mail and calendar app doesn't normally report USB errors ?

I installed a dedicated PCIe card and 4 USB 3's I connected the sensor to one of these now the strobing 'device not recognised' has gone away and the Kinect2 VAM opens and the sensor is lit up. 3 red lights and the White X light on.
But Kinect2Vam "Status body tracking NOT active - VAM NOT connected. Norton firewall off. Any idea what to do?

I installed a dedicated PCIe card and 4 USB 3's I connected the sensor to one of these now the strobing 'device not recognised' has gone away and the Kinect2 VAM opens and the sensor is lit up. 3 red lights and the White X light on.
But Kinect2Vam "Status body tracking NOT active - VAM NOT connected. Norton firewall off. Any idea what to do?
Congratulations, you've got the sensor working.
You should have the sensor mounted at a height of between 3 and 5 feet facing into your play area.
At this point all of the Kinect LEDS should be inactive.
Now start the Kinect2VAM server and the Kinect will then light up.
Click on the "Show Skeleton" button then position your body closer or further away from the sensor till it sees you.
You will then see the skeleton stick man in the app window tracking your body movements.
The VAM not connected message will remain till you click the "Connect" button from the plugin UI within VAM.

Thank you very much for all your help and guidance, I finally have it working. It very cool to be able to Mocap with this setup.

Can it be used with Leap motion hands in posses mode? Thanks again.

Quick question. I just got on the kinect bandwagon and am finding mass efficiency by making animations and then patching up different joints by selecting just that particular joint and then overriding the last bad take.

My question is since the kinect can track finger movements is it possible to record fingers into timeline via the parameters layers? Some people are able to use the parameters layers with actual finger trackers. This is why I am asking since fingers are trackable with kinect but currently not with kinect2Vam server. If so perhaps there could even be an option to turn on the recording of finger movements as this would probably slow down and create some lag.

Quick question. I just got on the kinect bandwagon and am finding mass efficiency by making animations and then patching up different joints by selecting just that particular joint and then overriding the last bad take.

My question is since the kinect can track finger movements is it possible to record fingers into timeline via the parameters layers? Some people are able to use the parameters layers with actual finger trackers. This is why I am asking since fingers are trackable with kinect but currently not with kinect2Vam server. If so perhaps there could even be an option to turn on the recording of finger movements as this would probably slow down and create some lag.
Finger movements are not trackable on the kinect. Only the thumb and tip of each hand. There are no VAM equivalents of these, only morphs for the movement of each finger. So no, not possible, sorry.

Finger movements are not trackable on the kinect. Only the thumb and tip of each hand. There are no VAM equivalents of these, only morphs for the movement of each finger. So no, not possible, sorry.

That is not totally true because I have a program where I use my kinect v2 as a mouse and it tracks my finger movements to scale, select, and move around in and out of programs. The program I am talking about is called Simplode Suite just search for it and you will see what I am talking about.
Here is a link to the vimeo video here
. The drawing in a paint program starts around the 1:40 mark. This is not my program and I'm not sure if its ok to leave links but you can remove if necessary. Just trying to show that it actually works with finger tracking.

I am aware that any movements including fingers cannot be tracked if they are behind other objects, but kinect can track forward movements. The program uses forward movements of each finger to click and also in paint it tracks all five fingers to draw lines. The kinect v1 doesn't have ability to track fingers but v2 does, as long as the fingers are facing the camera.

Let me qualify my last statement by saying that there are no finger tracking libraries provided in Microsoft's Kinect for Windows v2 SDK. That is the SDK on which Kinect2VAM was built. I note that there are some Kinect V2 apps for PC from independent developers which do nothing else but track fingers, with no handoff of live data to 3rd party apps over a network. I don't forsee this feature being added in future as the existing code to enable body joint tracking is quite CPU intensive already. Any additional overheads would simply slow things down too much. However, the code for Kinect2VAM is in the public domain and if you or anyone else wishes to attempt it then feel free.

Last edited:
moi c'est pas de réponse
1659202111059.png

le kinect fonctionne avec le logiciel kinect studio 2.0

probeme resolu me bad i usin 360 i kinect 2.0 lol

Last edited:
Well, hello Guys! I buyed all the linked and neccessary stuff. Installed it all, done every step but it won't work.

The Kinect keeps Disconnecting and Connecting every 3 Seconds nonstop.

Also it says there is a virus in the Kinect2VAM.zip. I can download and unpack it, but i don't know if there is something missing.

Any suggestions? Otherwise i will send the kinect sensor and adapter back.

- Thanks.

Well, hello Guys! I buyed all the linked and neccessary stuff. Installed it all, done every step but it won't work.

Also it says there is a virus in the Kinect2VAM.zip. I can download and unpack it, but i don't know if there is something missing.

- Thanks.
First of all there is no virus in "Kinect2VAM.zip".
All you need to extract from that archive is the server app "Kinect2VAM.exe"
Secondly, you need to provide much more detail to have any chance of helping you.
Please confirm how far down the following list of steps you have gotten successfully:
1. Unpack the server app "Kinect2VAM.exe" and place it in your VAM root folder.
2. Run the application and allow Windows firewall to create a rule allowing local traffic only.
This is vital to enable server/client communication.
3. Confirm the app is tracking your body movements by opening the skeleton display screen in the server app.
The app's status bar will confirm this.
4. Inside VAM, load the plugin onto a Person atom and open up the plugin's UI.
Click on the "Connect" button and the server status should change to "Connected".
if you got to step 4. and the server then subsequently disconnects, you have a communication problem between the PC server app and VAM.
And what messages are you getting, if any, in VAM's message log (the one with the pale blue screen) ?

- Thanks.

Had the same issue. Just go to settings "Privacy & Security > Microphone" and make sure "Kinect for Windows Runtime " is set to on.

Back
Top Bottom