Just not working "Buttons"

ZionaPierce

Reactions
I'm getting so frustrated with VAM lately. It seems like every scene I download, or every scene I create won't work. The in scene UI buttons either do nothing at all, or they let me move them instead of working, or the camera will change but the Atom will remain standing in their default or starting pose. So far this is with every scene in my library. This is Desktop only.

FYI, I'm only just getting into using scenes so it could just be user error...

Any thoughts?

They can only move if you're in Edit mode instead of Play mode, so do that.
To see if there's not underlying issue with VaM, run a core check with vam_updater.exe.

They can only move if you're in Edit mode instead of Play mode, so do that.
To see if there's not underlying issue with VaM, run a core check with vam_updater.exe.
Did a core check and update. No new update and no core issues. I'll be in Play Mode but for some reason I can still move them. I can drag them around but I don't get an Axis bubble.

I loaded up VaM and added a button to try out things for real.
Turns out Play or Edit mode don't matter, they both allow moving a UIbutton by clicking and holding if you grab them from the back. From the front you can't move it by grabbing as that's the actuator side, you need there to go to Edit mode, click the node (green square) and the gizmo shows. For thoroughness the gizmo also works from the back of the UIbutton, Edit mode only too.

I loaded up VaM and added a button to try out things for real.
Turns out Play or Edit mode don't matter, they both allow moving a UIbutton by clicking and holding if you grab them from the back. From the front you can't move it by grabbing as that's the actuator side, you need there to go to Edit mode, click the node (green square) and the gizmo shows. For thoroughness the gizmo also works from the back of the UIbutton, Edit mode only too.

I'll check those scenes then. I believe my camera is from the POV area and not behind the buttons. However, buttons still don't work in most of the scenes. I thought it might be because I'm desktop and not VR but desktop specific scenes are the same. Odd.

Which scene are we talking about here? (Hub-Link please)
Where are you located, where is the button? (Screenshot please)

Clicking a button in VaM Desktop-Mode works by shooting a ray from the camera position through the mouse cursor. VaM simply takes the first object it hits. Do you maybe have invisible objects between you (the camera) and the button? Because how cameras work in games, especially at the default 40° FoV, you are often about 1 meter further back than you might think you are. There might for example be the invisible backside of the room's wall between you and the button, as your camera is actually outside the room. If that's the case you just need to get closer to the button so there is nothing in between.

Back
Top Bottom