Question Is there a way that I can get VAM on Meta Quest 2?

Colourless

Reactions
I had accidentally purchase the wrong VR headset without verifying (horrible mistake). I'd like to know if there's a way that I can move it from my computer, or somehow hook it up to my computer or am I fucked?

I need to know before I open so that I can return it if need be.

1681099192828.png

I'm assuming that I can; however, I'd like to make sure before I open the actual box.

Upvote 0
Quest 2 is technically just a mid-range mobile, phone. So you can't run VaM on it as standalone. But AFAIK, you can stream VaM from your PC via either USB-C cable or via Wifi. For software you have the choice between AirLink (by Meta) and VirtualDesktop (by third party). It's not without problems, but apparently it works. Google found this: https://mixed-news.com/en/meta-quest-2-air-link-and-virtual-desktop-pc-vr-streaming-guide/

I don't have a Quest2 myself, so can't give you more details.

Upvote 0
There are no standalone headsets that can operate VAM without being wired or wirelessly connected to a pc.

Upvote 0
There are no standalone headsets that can operate VAM without being wired or wirelessly connected to a pc.
Which one would you say would be the best for VaM? I don't mind plugging it in, I just want to be able to have it not be a hassle, and it to encompass the whole screen as opposed to it being another screen in a 3d environment.

It looks likes the Quest 2 can only run VaM as a screen in a 3d world as opposed to it encompassing your entire view, which is not what I want.

Upvote 0
I can confirm the quest2 is great for VaM using Virtual Desktop to stream wirelessly.
as long as you have a good wifi6 router (if not just use link and usb), it’s amazing.
Also, if you turn on the auto switch to hand tracking you can put down the controllers and just move your hands, which work as controllers in VaM when using VD. I just need a way to disable gestures in hand tracking as you accidentally grab things and end up yeeting them all over the place if you are not careful.
I’ve posted several times about the correct way to run VaM using VD.
If you don’t want to buy Virtual Desktop check out ALVR and Oculus Airlink, which are both free.

Upvote 0
I can confirm the quest2 is great for VaM using Virtual Desktop to stream wirelessly.
as long as you have a good wifi6 router (if not just use link and usb), it’s amazing.
Also, if you turn on the auto switch to hand tracking you can put down the controllers and just move your hands, which work as controllers in VaM when using VD. I just need a way to disable gestures in hand tracking as you accidentally grab things and end up yeeting them all over the place if you are not careful.
I’ve posted several times about the correct way to run VaM using VD.
If you don’t want to buy Virtual Desktop check out ALVR and Oculus Airlink, which are both free.

Do you mind if I DM you and just ask some preliminary or general questions to help me get it set up?

Upvote 0
I'll take a look through your post history and if I come up with any questions, I'll ask them here so that if someone else comes across the same worries, they don't have to read the dreaded "I've DMed you" finish.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom