Answered Is there a Plug-in coding/scripting beginners guide

NSFV

Reactions
I'm am fairly decent at coding and am wondering if there is a coding reference for VaM. I wanted to make something like a menu plug-in for loading, saving files etc. Mainly for personal use. Could someone point me in the right direction or maybe even answer some more specific questions?

Its probably best to start by looking at plugins from others. Start with something simple and work your way up.

There is no VaM documentation, but you can use ILSpy to look at VaM_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll. It allows you to look at VaM's codebase. VaM does not have any real scripting documentation, but access to the code like this is way better anyway. Because code doesn't lie ;)

Of course Unity, the engine used by VaM, is documented and there are lots of tutorials for it. However, note that VaM 1.xx is using a fairly old Unity version: 2018.1.9

Upvote 0
You may want to check out my plugin template: https://github.com/acidbubbles/vam-plugin-template it can help you get started with autocomplete for vscode. And remember that most of what you'll be doing is "just Unity". @MacGruber's answer will also help _a lot_ in understanding what actually happens under the hood!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom