Improving Primary Navigation

Captain Varghoss

Staff member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
It seems like a lot of people are having trouble finding help on certain topics and are continually asking the same questions in discord over and over. Most of them are unaware that there is a guides section on the hub.

I'd like to make the suggestion that the guides page be taken out of the 'free' resource section and moved into the primary menu above the Free/Paid/Early access menus.

I think giving it more visibility might help people find it easier, a lot of people may not even know that the menus can be expanded to see the individual categories.

There are also 0 guides in the non-free sections so I doubt there would be any problems in that respect.

I think the problem is not a structural one, it's a behaviour-based one.

From what I experienced in the last years, people become more and more lazy and are not independently enough typing in some words in the field: SEARCH. They don't use google but it's the most easiest thing in the world. They don't wanna work. Just gimme the damn answer to my question.
So, the problem with people asking the same questions over and over again will remain I think, no matter how easy it will be to get straight to the info you are searching for.

It's a problem with the zeitgeist. No more patience, everything is too fast. Read, listen and learn is over.

I would add an other suggestion supporting this:
Add a new forum entry for guides and helpful threads.
As I wrote my posting last week for how to (not) use the Supersampling slider in VaM, for instance, I was searching for a forum section like this. I didn't wanted to put it in ressources/guides, because I felt it wasn't important enough. In addition to this, I would have felt the need for adding pictures and fancy video clips, or something like this, which I realy didn't want to do for such a small info. Instead of this, I put it in the question section and after a half day it was burried and forgotten. I bet, such an new section would encourage people (like me) to collect and write some short and quick "how to" postings. Though, maybe I am a bit too optimistic.
In other forums there is the habbit of moderators pinning important informations, so they don't get lost. Maybe it would be a good idea for the hub to create a small entry to those new forum section and crosslinking to the important part of a long thread elsewhere. There could be even crosslinks to the big tutorial ressources and maybe to helpful entries in other Reddits and Discords, having a central collection of informations from different sources.

@HolySchmidt I would like to add "Can you please make a video instead of just written text and pictures" to this list. ;)

You can argue that "people just won't look" but if it's easier to find more people WILL find it.

Case in point, my tutorial videos were getting on average about 120-150 views a day (total). Since the guide listing has been featured and shows on the main page without having to hunt for it I got 715 views on the first day and over 900 a day since. Making it front and center works and it should be taken advantage of, specifically for guides and tutorials.

P.S. my posting about people demanding video tutorials, because they don't want to read, wasn't against your valuable work. I am an old guy and non English speaker. A somewhat long answer takes me more than 20-40 minutes, each... A single video would take me a week.
For me those requests sometimes sounds a bit like: "God bless you for the sandwich, Sir... but could you please cutt away the crust! What? No pickles and mayonnaise?" ;)

But you are absolutely right... The moment something is away from the "what's new" list, for instance, it will get significantly less hits. No criticism, it is the same for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom