I can't figure out parenting.

Aminator

Reactions
I'm trying to parent a character to another.
I haven't got it to work yet and I can't find a step by step. Can someone tell me the method for this?

-Character 1 is carrying character 2.
- I have an empty parented to Character 1's abdomen.
-Character 2 is posed and the control is parented to the empty.

-I have one segment with 4 animations I plan to play through. The first 3 are idle then the 4th is where she sets him down and he unparents.

I've tried the rubber leash plugin but it looks like the control settings do the exact same thing.

What triggers doninuse and where? At the beginning of animation one I add a control keyframe for char 2 and click settings and parent to the empty with weight 100 and position and rotation checked.
What do I don't animation 4 at the point I want to unparent?

I can't find any info on unparenting and I'm not sure this is the way to do it.

Maybe I'll order this book. :sneaky:

51uaM1oCc4L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

There are positionState and rotationState triggers that you can toggle from parent link to on/off (to detach and animate freely).
Than trigger back to parent link, BUT those triggers have no effect on main person atom control/root node.
There is also detachControl trigger, could be useful but again not working on person:control

Far as I know, your other options would be:
a) Don't parent main/root control point, link to a different control point (one where you can change pos/rot state...idk hip:control or whatever)
b) Use subscenes?

EDIT:
c) add 2nd empty atom (parented to first one) and parent person2 to it. This way you can detach or change state on empty2 (instead of person2).
I am not a fan of "daisy chaining" links, it could add lag/desync or break stuff (try to use direct links wherever is possible).

Last edited:
Thanks, I managed to get the parenting and unparenting working.
I'm going to see what happens when I parent an empty to the head with embody and then make the head invisible.

Back
Top Bottom