Question How to trigger BVH Animations with BVH player?

VamBlaster

Reactions
So there isn't alot of good free animations to use with Acid bubbles timeline, and creating them still seems to be daunting.

I stumbled upon BVH player and came across a HUGE library of BVH animations.

I've gotten the animations to play with the plugin on a person, but I can't figure out how to load/trigger a specific animation with a UI button trigger. There doesn't seem to be a specific trigger option to "load BVH file", which is kind of a deal breaker. All these thousands of animations to choose from but not able to load and trigger them!

Is there a way to do this?

So there isn't alot of good free animations to use with Acid bubbles timeline, and creating them still seems to be daunting.

I stumbled upon BVH player and came across a HUGE library of BVH animations.

I've gotten the animations to play with the plugin on a person, but I can't figure out how to load/trigger a specific animation with a UI button trigger. There doesn't seem to be a specific trigger option to "load BVH file", which is kind of a deal breaker. All these thousands of animations to choose from but not able to load and trigger them!

Is there a way to do this?
I dont use triggers but i import them into timeline and run a bunch of them randomly with timeline.

Upvote 0
Hi, VamBlaster. Like I wrote in the other tread, you have a function included in the BVH to record the BVH animations in VaM, so it is a kind of conversion into the old VaM animation format. You can even play different BVH animation snippets after another and record it as a single one. After this, you can use and trigger BVH animations like VaM animations.

Upvote 0
Hi Ttoby and Matt, thanks for your suggestions. It turns out I need to use BOTH of your methods together, but it works!

Posting solution here for future reference:

1. Enable both plugins (BVH Player and Acid bubbles timeline) on the character.
2. Open the BVH player and choose the animation file (I like there are literally THOUSANDS to choose from!)
3. Choose BAKE
4. After this is done, the animation is now in the SCENE ANIMATION tab of VAM

5. Open the acidbubbles timeline plugin menu
6. Go to MORE tab and choose MOCAP IMPORT
7. Choose Import recorded animation (MOCAP)

Now the animation is saved into your current preset. You can now export this animation to a file and use it forever, importing it whenever you need it.

Best and most important of all, you can trigger this animation from a UI button. Like setup a pose or scene and trigger the animation with a button.

I was using the built in animations before which was a chore (turn left, turn right, sit to stand etc..) and with robotic like movements. This is SO much better!

EDIT - if there is a way to convert the BVH animation directly into timeline much quicker than what I listed, please let me know. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well that didn't take long, I'm now running into this issue

When I play the animation in timeline it forces the character into the location it was recorded from in BVH Player. I can't move the character to a different location and then trigger the animation from that new location, it "snaps" back to the original location. It's as if it has "root node enabled" in a pose preset.

This is true also in the SCENE ANIMATION tab. After the animation is baked, then scene animation is locked to that character location. I can't move the character to a different room location and have the animation play there.

Is there a way to break this lock? Or is just how it is?

Upvote 0
Hi, here is a thread with the same issue (or so it seems).
Maybe you understand how the workaround was described.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to update with the solution which I got from Acidbubble's discord channel. The control needs to be removed after importing the animation, then the animation will play wherever the character is.

"After importing the animation go in Add/Remove targets, click on the "control" entry on the left, and press "Delete". Then you can freely move the root!"

Upvote 0
Just wanted to update with the solution which I got from Acidbubble's discord channel. The control needs to be removed after importing the animation, then the animation will play wherever the character is.

"After importing the animation go in Add/Remove targets, click on the "control" entry on the left, and press "Delete". Then you can freely move the root!"
In timeline after you import the mocap there is a yellow box in the bottom right to clear , is that doing the same thing?

Upvote 0
Hi Ttoby and Matt, thanks for your suggestions. It turns out I need to use BOTH of your methods together, but it works!

Posting solution here for future reference:

1. Enable both plugins (BVH Player and Acid bubbles timeline) on the character.
2. Open the BVH player and choose the animation file (I like there are literally THOUSANDS to choose from!)
3. Choose BAKE
4. After this is done, the animation is now in the SCENE ANIMATION tab of VAM

5. Open the acidbubbles timeline plugin menu
6. Go to MORE tab and choose MOCAP IMPORT
7. Choose Import recorded animation (MOCAP)

Now the animation is saved into your current preset. You can now export this animation to a file and use it forever, importing it whenever you need it.

Best and most important of all, you can trigger this animation from a UI button. Like setup a pose or scene and trigger the animation with a button.

I was using the built in animations before which was a chore (turn left, turn right, sit to stand etc..) and with robotic like movements. This is SO much better!

EDIT - if there is a way to convert the BVH animation directly into timeline much quicker than what I listed, please let me know. Thanks!
Hey, im having an issue with step 6, i dont have anything named MOCAP IMPORT in the MORE tab

Upvote 0
Hey, im having an issue with step 6, i dont have anything named MOCAP IMPORT in the MORE tab
Which Timeline version you running, its still in the More tab but probably called something else, can you post a screenshot of that tab.

Upvote 0
Which Timeline version you running, its still in the More tab but probably called something else, can you post a screenshot of that tab.
1703172957538.png

This is the version i downloaded (a bit confusing that its both named .283 and also v6.3.1)

And this is how the MORE tab looks like:
1703173078662.png

If i click the import\export button i am only able to import a whole JSON from other projects.

Thank you

Upvote 0
After you bake the bvh... Remove the bvh player plugin from the atom. Then Convert VAM Naitve scene...it will import the bvh...then delete the native animation

Upvote 0

I stopped using this method. The BVH animations are 99.9% garbage and not really usable in regular scenes. I don't understand why all the walking animations looking like they're walking like humpty dumpty for example.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom