How to fix iris specular layer mismatch

Clocksmith

Reactions
Some Looks have a strange mismatch between the iris and its specular layer.

As an example of a properly functioning specular layer, take the default model from the Create tab of VAM. Here is her default eye color:

1705003243059.png

If I want to change it to be darker, one way I can do that is by lowering the Specular Intensity of her Iris Materials. Notice that this change cleanly maps precisely to her irises, not changing anything in the whites of her eyes outside of them. This will be important later:

1705003418354.png

I can also make fine-grained changes to her eye color this way, keeping the Specular Intensity the same but changing the Specular Color:

1705003659697.png

However, on other Looks, the specular layer does not match the iris material for some reason, causing changes to the specular layer to make unwanted modifications to the whites of their eyes.

As just one example (but I would say maybe 50% of my Looks from various creators have this problem), take riccio's Janie. With no modifications to her initial Scene, she has artifacts from her eyes' specular layer covering the whites of her eyes, outside of her iris:

1705004733572.png

This can be clumsily remedied by changing the Specular Intensity and Color to match the color of the whites of her eyes but in addition to not fully removing the artifact, it makes an unwanted change to her base iris color:

1705004800690.png

Is there a way for me to make the specular layer match the iris for these Looks?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom