Question how to fix converted normal textures?

Mm3

Reactions
I have used MrGiggly's guide to convert g8 textures but I have some problems like in the picture the connection between the torso to the limbs wasn't done properly
can someone help me fix this?

Attachments

• 1671986532.jpg
    1671986532.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • G2_TorsoN.png
    G2_TorsoN.png
    16.7 MB · Views: 0
  • G2_LimbsN.png
    G2_LimbsN.png
    19.9 MB · Views: 0
If you load the genesis 2 model (or output model obj from vam) in blender you can load the base colour for each material as an image texture, selecting your converted normal map for torso, arms et cetera on this main layer so you can see them clearly. Then in texture paint mode use a smudge tool on the area of the texture you want to move and then use a smaller smudge brush directly on the model in the viewport to blend them together smoothly. If you drag on the model in the vieport it will update both of the textures at the same time, making them seamless. You can then click the word 'image*' above the texture window and 'save as' for each image, don't save over your originals in case you made a mistake when blending them together. You can then either load the defuse, spec and normal maps in the shading tab of blender to view them, or just load them up in vam to see how they look. There are loads of texture paiting tutorials for blender on YouTube if you need help. Good luck.

Upvote 0
If you load the genesis 2 model (or output model obj from vam) in blender you can load the base colour for each material as an image texture, selecting your converted normal map for torso, arms et cetera on this main layer so you can see them clearly. Then in texture paint mode use a smudge tool on the area of the texture you want to move and then use a smaller smudge brush directly on the model in the viewport to blend them together smoothly. If you drag on the model in the vieport it will update both of the textures at the same time, making them seamless. You can then click the word 'image*' above the texture window and 'save as' for each image, don't save over your originals in case you made a mistake when blending them together. You can then either load the defuse, spec and normal maps in the shading tab of blender to view them, or just load them up in vam to see how they look. There are loads of texture paiting tutorials for blender on YouTube if you need help. Good luck.
thank you for replying but I'm very new to blender and texturing, I only know how to convert the textures with the help of his guide
if its not too much of a hassle could you maybe simplify it for me so I could understand?!
sorry and thanks

Upvote 0
Sorry, I think I mislead you with my original comment. I just tried to do it myself for you, and i now realize what the problem is. the normals on the limbs and the part of the back shoulder are backwards, so the low points seem high and the shadows are reversed. I should have looked more closely at your first image. I tried to blend them to get rid of the harsh seem, which helped a bit, but there is nothing i can do to make the limb map look right. Texture transfers work well for defuse textures but Normal maps are really dependent on how they are unwrapped and their original orientation. I don't really know enough about them to help any further.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I think I mislead you with my original comment. I just tried to do it myself for you, and i now realize what the problem is. the normals on the limbs and the part of the back shoulder are backwards, so the low points seem high and the shadows are reversed. I should have looked more closely at your first image. I tried to blend them to get rid of the harsh seem, which helped a bit, but there is nothing i can do to make the limb map look right. Texture transfers work well for defuse textures but Normal maps are really dependent on how they are unwrapped and their original orientation. I don't really know enough about them to help any further.
I understand and thanks a lot for trying!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom