Question How to Apply Female Hair to a Male Person.

capta134

Reactions
Clearly VAM does not allow female items(Hair, clothing and morphs on males and in a similar manner male items do not work on female.

So 2 questions:

1: Is there a way to apply female hair/clothing or morphs on male person ( or male items on female)?

2: How VAM identify a person as Male or Female? My guess is some flag in Json file.

Last edited:
For hair: copy the relevant files from Custom\Hair\Female to Custom\Hair\male. If the hair is in a var file, you'll need to unpack the var and move the files from there.

For morphs: At the top right of the morph browser, there's a check box to use male morphs on females, or vice versa. Once you've checked this, you can just apply the morphs.

For clothing: You cannot use vam clothes from one sex on another. The only solution would be to obtain the files originally used to import the clothing and re-import it onto the sex you want to use it for. It's possible you'd have to refit the clothing on the right model in Daz first, but I'm not sure., Does anybody else know?

You changes the sex of a model by loading a built in skin of that sex. In the json, look for something like:

"id" : "geometry",
"character" : "Female 3",

Note that this has nothing to do with any custom skin texture that may have been added. It's the base skin UV set that defines the sex of the model.

Upvote 0
For hair: copy the relevant files from Custom\Hair\Female to Custom\Hair\male. If the hair is in a var file, you'll need to unpack the var and move the files from there.

For morphs: At the top right of the morph browser, there's a check box to use male morphs on females, or vice versa. Once you've checked this, you can just apply the morphs.

For clothing: You cannot use vam clothes from one sex on another. The only solution would be to obtain the files originally used to import the clothing and re-import it onto the sex you want to use it for. It's possible you'd have to refit the clothing on the right model in Daz first, but I'm not sure., Does anybody else know?

You changes the sex of a model by loading a built in skin of that sex. In the json, look for something like:

"id" : "geometry",
"character" : "Female 3",

Note that this has nothing to do with any custom skin texture that may have been added. It's the base skin UV set that defines the sex of the model.
Thanks for the information. Very helpful!

Upvote 0
There are a few female short hair items I've been able to add to a male and then use the custom hair controls to adjust the length and width to get fairly good results. I think one file was called "Tomboy" and that works nicely.

Upvote 0

Hi DJ
Won't this effect anything when loading scenes, and is there a way to extract var files in another folder (not VAM folder) and copy relevant files to the path?

Upvote 0
Hi DJ
Won't this effect anything when loading scenes, and is there a way to extract var files in another folder (not VAM folder) and copy relevant files to the path?

Sure. Open the var file with your zip utility. Navigate to Custom\Hair\Female. Copy all the files you find there to Custom\Hair\male in your Vam directory.

But beware of licensing issues! All those copied files are still bound by the license of the original var file. Because their path has changed, you wont be able to reference the original var if you use the hairstyles in a scene/look you want to share.

Upvote 0
Sure. Open the var file with your zip utility. Navigate to Custom\Hair\Female. Copy all the files you find there to Custom\Hair\male in your Vam directory.

But beware of licensing issues! All those copied files are still bound by the license of the original var file. Because their path has changed, you wont be able to reference the original var if you use the hairstyles in a scene/look you want to share.
So other than licensing noting will effect my VAM instance? Right?!

Upvote 0
The female hair will still be there. By copying the files, you just make it available to male models as well.

Upvote 0
It's possible you'd have to refit the clothing on the right model in Daz first, but I'm not sure., Does anybody else know?
Yes, you have to refit the clothes in DAZ to the standard G2 male character for instance (or any other G2 body shape you want to use in VaM). The VaM clothes importer is wrapping the clothes around your active character by joining near-by verices. If the size, shape or proportions does not fit, the wrapping process in VaM just fails and the clothes do not fit at all.
If you would use the clothes importer on a character with the opposite sex but exact shape (Futas for instance), you wouldn't need to refit the clothes in DAZ.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom