How amazing has VaM gotten?

Jiraiya

Reactions
I am no longer waiting for VaM 2.0.

Everything I wanted is in VaM 1.22 now. Amazing advances in scripting alongside great work with CUAs and it seems anything is possible. All I really want now is improved performance!

VaM 2.0 seems to be going for much improved realism and better user interface, that’s lovely and all but I hope we can tune it down easily for faster performance. it seems to me the biggest issue is frame rate, especially for VR users. Even with a reasonably good gaming PC which runs most VR titles fine VaM struggles. If only we could make 1.22 work better on multi-core machines.

I wonder how good the 7800X3D is with VAM since it crushes all other CPUs on all games where it needs only one or a few cores...

In the past 2 years, I think it has improved incredibly. It has taken me quite a while to utilize many of the fantastic plugins. For me there was and still is a learning curve. There are definitely more fully realized scenes now, thanks to the many talented plugin creators, and the smart people utilizing them into their scenes. The CPU issue is huge, I cannot imagine how much greater VAM could be if that is resolved. Honestly, I do not see it ever happening. I would love to have full body physics. If I touch the face cheek, there is a little give, etc. Lag just ruins any type of real experience, in VR. I have a mid game pc, I spent about 1.4K on it and it cannot run VAM with me doing almost anything, unless, simply watching, without lag. And if I add some of my own plugins, its almost totally unrealistic, and just barely playable. I want to be able to converse with the person, freely that uses the new Chat AI, and the person to act and react like a semi real person with their own personalities. I could discuss relativity with Einstein, if I wanted. Or sweet talk a woman out of her pants. I know there is movement in this area, but it will take time and work to get it to happen. There is movement in VAM, and it is getting better, its a fact. VAM is amazing, even the way it is now. Its really its own form of art and so easy on my eyes. And even if Meshed VR comes out and says they are not doing anything about the CPU issue, I would still play it. I stay hopeful on its possibilities, but just enjoy what there is now.

I would attribute the improvements made to VAM over the past couple of years to the work of the community. Probably the biggest impact to VAM was when Acidbubbles released his Timeline plugin - prior to that, making animations was cumbersome and was basically relegated to the people who actually knew what they were doing.

Indeed. It's mostly the work on plugins that I was referring to.
Especially things like the animation and control of CUAs.
Honestly, I would just be happy for improved performance in the core VaM at this point, that's worth far more to me than more complex soft body physics or higher detail textures etc.
I can imagine raytracing support for cards with that in hardware would improve the lighting so I could have more than 1 or 2 pixel lights!

I agree. Although 2.0 sounds great, it will take a very long time for it to get to the level of 1.22. Everything will have to be ported over and that will take many years. If 1.22 were better optimized with a more modern engine, it would be pretty much perfect.

Back
Top Bottom