Headset drift in Samsung odyssey plus

Ballard

Reactions
The past few weeks my headset has had a drift while using VAM. This isn't the thumbstick drift that is common in the Odyssey but the actual headset head location itself. It will be fine for 10 or 15 minutes and then my head position will drift slightly back and forth or up and down within the environment. It is driving me crazy. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix it?

You probably already know this, but WMR tracking works by having the headset taking pictures of the room and comparing them to previous pictures to see if the position has changed. Improving poor tracking is a matter of having a room with few reflective surfaces (pull the curtains, maybe cover up the TV), good lighting, and making sure there are enough high contrast details (like, you're not pointed at a big empty wall) that the algorithm can use to establish location.

But sometimes WMR tracking just sucks.

Thanks DJ but I think this is something different. It just started happening and the headset worked fine for a year in the same environment. Although I could try turning off my monitor while in VAM I am skeptical that would do it. The monitor never caused an issue before.

I am starting to think the headset is damaged. I don't remember dropping it but I have wood floors it could have fell and I don't remember. It happens to my mouse all the time. But who knows, maybe someone will see this post who had the same issue and fixed it.

I vaguely recall hearing about someone who started having tracking problems and discovered one of the headset cameras had quit working. Dunno how you'd test for that, though.

You can test the cameras by turning on the Flashlight function (the voice command "Flashlight on" may work). This enables the camera passthrough and will show whatever the controllers are pointing at.

Another thing you can try is to reset your play space and set it up again. I had to do this when I changed my monitor. Even if you haven't changed anything, it could help.

Back
Top Bottom