• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

Have you ever observed it carefully?All Vam character models have the wrong ear shape.

zqwvc

Reactions
Have you ever observed it carefully?
All Vam character models have the wrong ear shape.
1716216797.jpg

All the ears of the Vam character model have no tragus! :eek:

The Genesis 2 figure does actually have a more pronounced tragus and lobes, but the geometry isn't very dense. I think that vam does smoothing passes for the model (like it does for clothing) which has ironed out these details.
Ear Mesh.png

I also noticed that in Daz Studio, the G2 models do have this feature. Perhaps this was a deliberate choice by MeshedVR to reduce the number of vertices, or do smoothing that left this area underpopulated. At this time, it's highly unlikely this will be fixed in Vam 1.x. The content creators might not be able to fix this, or might feel it's not a good use of their time.

Note also that the above screenshot agrees with what I see in Daz Studio with Resolution Level set to Base. By default, in Daz opens the model in High resolution, where this feature does look better. If mesh smoothing in Vam is applied to Base resolution, this feature looks like it disappears. Daz also has SubDivision capability that is lacking in Vam. Vam does make compromises in order to do real time animated rendering, soft body physics, collision, etc. That's not going to change, IMO.

Here is a screenshot from Daz with High Resolution and SubD=2:

G2F-Head-SubD2.jpg

Vam is using the base resolution genesis 2 with smooth passes set in user preferences. That's what does this.
ear smoothing.png

No surprise there. Vam with Smooth Passes = 0 looks just like Daz with Resolution Level = Base. I'd rather have a smooth looking ear with no Tragus than have an ear that looks like Origami. That also means that a morph probably won't fix it. There aren't enough vertices.

Thank you for actively discussing this issue, but I think this problem may need to be solved by vam officials. After all, I really don't understand what the two files vmi and vmb mean. I have no idea what happens during the process of converting the dsf file into vmi and vmb files.

Then one thing has been determined, that is, don’t edit the character’s ears anymore, because editing them won’t work anyway.

Here you go. I made a morph for you to exaggerate that area and it looks a little better now.

Tragus 0.png
Tragus 1.png

Here you go. I made a morph for you to exaggerate that area and it looks a little better now.

View attachment 369579View attachment 369580

OMG!
OMG!
OMG!OMG!

You are such a genius. Now show me your model in blender? And why does it not work in vam when I make a tragus?

Like I showed in my second post, it is the smooth passes that Vam does which flattens this area. I just imported the g2f base mesh from daz3d and selected these edges (the 4 vertices for the main face and the two in the middle of the tragus.)I extended the area to exaggerate it so that the vam smoothing pass wouldn't completely level out the geometry.
Tragus 3.png

I'm not sure what you mean by why it doesn't work when you try to make it? it may be because I knew I had to exaggerate the morph beyond how I wanted it to look, as vam would smooth it out.

If you mean making morphs more generally, check out this guide.

Like I showed in my second post, it is the smooth passes that Vam does which flattens this area. I just imported the g2f base mesh from daz3d and selected these edges (the 4 vertices for the main face and the two in the middle of the tragus.)I extended the area to exaggerate it so that the vam smoothing pass wouldn't completely level out the geometry.
View attachment 369921
I'm not sure what you mean by why it doesn't work when you try to make it? it may be because I knew I had to exaggerate the morph beyond how I wanted it to look, as vam would smooth it out.

If you mean making morphs more generally, check out this guide.

In fact, not only the auricles of the ears vam cannot be unified with daz (the model has auricles in daz, but the auricles disappear in vam). Also, vam, the tip of the nose, is not consistent with daz. In other words, if you create a deformation at the tip of the nose, this deformation will not have any effect in vam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom