HairExporter Beta

Other HairExporter Beta

northern.shikima

Reactions
northern.shikima submitted a new resource:

HairExporter 0.1 Beta - Export simulated hair to Blender

WARNING: This is a beta product. This is a minimum viable set of scripts I wrote for my own use, but I have decided to share as others might find useful. It's not beginner or user-friendly yet. I've only tested this with Blender 3.3. Best results will be for people who already have experience with Blender's hair system and some familiarity with running python scripts in Blender.

VaM’s simulated hair is not a traditional mesh or hair-card based hair. VaM uses individual strands to...

Read more about this resource...

Wow. it looks so much better in Blender :( is it possible to export it from blender to unity and then back to VAM as assetbundle with so good look ? :)

Wow. it looks so much better in Blender :( is it possible to export it from blender to unity and then back to VAM as assetbundle with so good look ? :)

A lot of improved look in blender comes from not being real-time rendered. So we can add a massive amounts of child hairs, ray traced rendering and an expensive hair shader and just let it take 30 minutes to render a single frame. Meanwhile games like Vam needs to render a frame in 0.01 seconds to make 60 FPS.

Vam does have room for improvement but I think we'll see that improvement in Vam 2 since they are moving to HDRP.

Technically someone could take the time to create a really good hair shader for Vam but I think it's just better to wait for HDRP and Vam 2.

@northern.shikima Any tips on how to avoid issues when scaling the emitter inside blender?

Seems like some of the scaling issues with Blender hair particle are well known and by design:

If you're familiar with blender drivers, you could probably try adding a driver to some of the hair system's settings to scale with the parent object scale? Multiplying the children's radius by the scale amount seems to help.

I saw some old posts suggesting parenting it to an armature and scaling the armature instead, but that doesn't seem to fix the issues for me when testing.

Another option is to try and scale the emitter object and imported curves before using HairNet to create the particle system.

But it does seem like like there isn't a straightforward solution for scaling blender's particle emitters

Another option is to try and scale the emitter object and imported curves before using HairNet to create the particle system.

This was the only thing that helped. I have made a few hairs in VAM with some success, but making hairs from scratch in blender has been a real nightmare, so this really helped me upping my digital portrait creation by miles! Thanks a lot for sharing!

A lot of improved look in blender comes from not being real-time rendered. So we can add a massive amounts of child hairs, ray traced rendering and an expensive hair shader and just let it take 30 minutes to render a single frame. Meanwhile games like Vam needs to render a frame in 0.01 seconds to make 60 FPS.

Vam does have room for improvement but I think we'll see that improvement in Vam 2 since they are moving to HDRP.

Technically someone could take the time to create a really good hair shader for Vam but I think it's just better to wait for HDRP and Vam 2.
wait is keyword here :) i think that in current state of work it will be 2 years with basic launch and 3 with similar funcitonality as today VAM1 has :)

You know, if a plugin can be made to export hair, I wonder if a plugin could export clothing, or even entire models for 3D printing? :D

1671206898071.png

Same result as above. Tried with Roac Malta Hair.

Edit: The csv file used comma as decimal point. Changing it to "." fixed the issue

Attachments

• roac hair.png
    roac hair.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oh wow it worked! I don't know which setting was correct but I changed decimal symbol in the control panel to "." , because changing it in excel settings didn't seem to work

哦,哇,它奏效了!我不知道哪个设置正确,但我将控制面板中的小数点符号更改为“。” ,因为在 excel 设置中更改它似乎不起作用
[/引用]

请问是哪个控制面板?

Assuming we would have the 'reverse' version of the HairExporter - a HairImporter that converts a .csv to be inserted back into a .vab file.
Blender would not be involved in this.

Would the following be possible or create some kind of mesh conflict?
  1. Export from Custom\Hair\Male\<creatorname>\<hairname>.vab hair to csv
  2. Move csv file to Custom\Hair\Female\<creatorname>\
  3. Create an empty female dummy hair in that folder
  4. Use HairImporter to insert or replace data in female dummy hair
Basically to use this as Male <-> Female hair converter.
Always wanted to 1:1 convert the male eyebrow hair from this Futa Night elf to this female Night elf.

I understand the hair strands are somehow tied the scalp mesh - but not how it exactly works. Also I wonder how this works if hair is placed on other body parts...

Last edited:
I wonder how anyone has used this plugin. This is how the hair looks after following the instructions in the manual.

1695002998603.png

@haremlife
Did you add the <hair>.vab file path argument to the HairExport.exe?
Dragging the <hair>.vab file on the HairExport.exe works.
Because this looks like you either added no path or something incorrect. There is no error check and this exception pops up.
If you did add it and still get the error I'd guess it's a bug with the specific hair you're using and for some reason it cannot handle it correctly.

I figured this shit out. For anyone wondering: you MUST use the edit mode to place the hair curves over the mesh (in this case the sphere). If you scale or translate the hair curves in object mode, everything is going to be messed up.

1695155536375.png

Does this work as curves in blender, and can you use the new hair nodes in this workflow? Has anyone tried?

I don't know if this has been asked or even mentioned, but I wonder if it is possible to do the same, but in reverse? Like export and convert Blender hair to VaM hair. I would think that the obsticle would be re-importing it into VaM. That would definitely be a game changer though.

I don't know if this has been asked or even mentioned, but I wonder if it is possible to do the same, but in reverse? Like export and convert Blender hair to VaM hair. I would think that the obsticle would be re-importing it into VaM. That would definitely be a game changer though.
I'd like to see this too

Back
Top Bottom