Won't fix Hair not colliding with most objects

clevenger

Reactions
It looks like hair doesn't collide with most objects, like furniture for example. But it does collide with some floors, spheres and capsules (but not cubes). It really kills the realism when a character with long hair lays down on the couch or a bed and the hair goes right through it.

It does seem to collide with the wood floor though.

I understand that this may be for performance reasons as having hair collide with everything could get expensive. But if hair collides with some objects there must be some way to turn collision on and off for specific objects.

Is there some way to get it to collide with just a specific object like a bed or couch when it is needed for a scene? Or if there was some way to make it collide with an invisible cube or plane, we could make a simple collider object just inside of more detailed ones so the hair would collide right?

The hair and clothing sim use a separate GPU physics system for performance reasons and it does not currently support box or mesh colliders which are used on many in-game items. For 2.X we will attempt to improve some of this, but mesh colliders may never be possible because of the high cost. Box colliders should be possible. In 2.X we will likely stop using mesh colliders due to their expense and shift to only using simpler primitive colliders.

For 1.X you could try to fake it by using a bunch of invisible Capsule atoms that the hair/clothing can collider with. You can also use the items that have plane collision and make them invisible by adjusting the alpha adjust parameter on the materials.

> You can also use the items that have plane collision and make them invisible by adjusting the alpha adjust parameter on the materials.

Can you clarify which plane object has an alpha parameter? I can't find any.

As far as I can tell, objects that have GPU physics are either the capsule or a couple of planes, like slate and wall. None of the planes have an alpha setting and they don't seem to use their scale for collisions, they're using an infinite plane regardless of scale. It's also impossible to disable collision with either hair or clothes, it's always both.

Another problem is that clothes and hair sometimes go through these objects, depending on their collision radius, I think. Moving these planes up and down sometimes just makes ripples through clothing and hair.

Here's my wish list:

1) For clothing that goes through objects, I'd love to have something like a Wall that has an alpha setting and does not collide outside of its model, respecting the scale. That would allow me to make sure a skirt does not go through a chair, for example, but would not interfere with the hair of another person elsewhere in the scene.

2) For hair that goes through the body, I'd love a capsule that has independent scales for each axis and does not collide with clothes. Then I could put the capsule so it fits the torso and parent it there.

3) For both of these things, it'd be nice to have something that helps with clothing and hair eventually going through them. Maybe if these planes respected their scaling, a thicker plane would help? I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom