Goodbye from MacGruber

MacGruber

Invaluable member
Developer
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Just to make that clear, this is not an early April's Fool post ;)

Some probably already suspected this after I had paused my Patreon for the last two months, I decided to stop my engagement in the VaM community for the foreseeable future.

But, ...why?
I was active in the VaM community more or less continuously for more than 4 years now. VaM has come a long way since then. Usually I spend something around 30-40 hours per month, some months up to 80 when I had some vacation. However, for the last year or so almost half of that time was just spend answering random questions. Quite often people don't even bother to send a "thx", let alone sub to my Patreon, after I spend like 30 or 60 minutes formulating an answer, sometimes even building things like example scenes or making screenshots for them. I tried to answer questions on the Hub, so at least others could profit from the time spent, but that didn't really work. The "best" ones are those who would like that I magically make random thing X work with VaM or with one of my plugins, because it can be done in just 30 minutes or so. "Random thing X" is usually something like some obscure raytracing plugin for Unreal engine or whatever. It just doesn't work like that. Of course, not everyone is like that, but sadly many are.

Then there is real life. As you may know, I work on AAA games in my real job. We are nearing release in a few months, and stress levels are rising as you would expect. To keep my sanity I have to reduce my VaM time. Since the questions will keep coming in if I remain active, it would mean I wouldn't get any VaM work done at all. Even when simply ignoring the more dumb questions. Not to mention that I can't make any plans when I don't know whether I can spend the following weekend on VaM work or have to stay away from the computer to recover from a stressful week in my real job. VaM really has become more work than fun.

What will happen now?
(Edit: Plans changed slightly, site will remain online although there won't be new content. You may want to unsubscribe. Details and reasoning here.)

I will keep my Patreon site paused for one or two more months. This gives those who want to the opportunity to still make new pledges. This is mostly intended for my "Pay if you liked it" content like my video tutorials and the benchmark scene. If you are an existing Patreon, you won't be charged, just like in the last two months. If you really want to, I think you can unsubscribe and re-subscribe to send me money.

Then, eventually, I will unlaunch the page, which is the process Patreon intends for this kind of thing. That will mean the my Patreon page won't be accessible anymore, unless I decide to relaunch as some time in the future. Maybe I will be back for VaM 2.x next year or so, but no promises.

All my content will remain accessible under CC-BY-SA license here on the Hub.

// MacGruber

Last edited:
F***!!!!!
😥

Won't be the same without you. Thank you for everything you did and hope to have back at some point.
Good luck for the game release and hopefully you get to have more time away from the computer/screen.

Noooooo

I really hope you'll change your mind, your stuff is epic and made vam so much more enjoyable. Without your plugins and your posts I would have likely never made any vam plugins.

Thank you for all your work and I hope you'll be back soon. But until then, good luck with the launch and an awesome well-deserved vacation after that

I'm definitely sad to see you go. Some of your plugins and efforts are a vital part of everything I do with VAM. From Supershot to the postmagic plugins to your life suite and even some of the block plugins. I've been with this community for a long while now too and it has definitely changed as it has grown. I do miss some of the earlier days when it was all a community spirit. But I guess, like anything, the more people that come into the circle, the more likely it is that there will be people to ruin it. I'm happy that VAM is growing, it does mean more will go into developing it, but I do lament some of the comraderie of the older days. Thank you for everything, and Best wishes on your journey forward.

I'm late to the party here, I too have been buried in my own work (both in real life and on my scenes here.) Your time, knowledge, and effort will be sorely missed in the community. I hope you can be at a spot to someday return, but that's my own selfishness and disappointment that you're leaving.

Safe travels and good luck to you, wherever you end up!

what a pity............Please ---think about the phrase of a great man: "it is better to be the first in the village than the second in Rome"

Last edited:
Wow so sad to hear this as you really are one of the innovators in the community and will be sorely missed. I totally understand the frustration of spending time and energy to do your best to help people for them to just ghost without any gratitude the instant they get what they want as I experience this quite often myself and after speaking with a number of other creators this is by no means an uncommon occurrence. no thanks, no rating no review and no pledge.

Just know that your contribution has been huge and the whole community will be here with open arms if your feelings change.

I wish you much good luck in the future.

I wish you the best! I just want to let you know that your plugins are essential and vital for everything I do.

Nooo! Wish I would have seen this earlier.

You're one of the good guys. Helped so much on the forum and VAM would not be the same without your Plugins.
I work on AAA games in my real job
So that explains your excellent expertise. - Good luck and stay healthy during crunch time. (y)

Mac, as we discussed in DM, the important thing is that you follow something that makes you happy.
You made an incredible contribution to the community, and your work and answers helped me several times to improve or fix some of my plugins or creations.

I wish you all the best, personally and professionnally.
Take care! <3

I've just seen this post today. Your work has brought VAM to a new level so It's sad to see you go. Hope to see you back, perhaps in Vam 2.x as you suggested! Take care

Last edited:
Many, many thanks to you for all you did, from your awesome resources to your contribution to helping the community out there!

Of course, as many people here, I would have liked to see you staying and produce even more of those ever surprising quality stuff of yours. Hopefully it's a goodbye and not a farewell: we would need your plugins in 2.x for sure!

You'll forever remain one of those people who have made VAM what it is today. No debate here. I was glad to be around and it was always a pleasure to see your posts! Once again and on behalf of all those who have forgotten or not taken the time to say it: thanks! A lot.
Good luck with everything, looks like you're going to be quite busy!

Thanks for all the effort and work you put into VaM for the community. I wish you all the best for whatever your plans are.
And of course it would be a pleasure to welcome you again with 2.0. :D
Time is the most valuable thing we have, use it wisely.

See you / Good Bye und auf Wiedersehen! ;)

Really late to the "party". This is just sad man. You are and were one of the most innovative in vam community, hope you return at some point ?. In general, vam is time consuming, not least if you take it seriously. The reward must come from within, everything else will just be a disappointment. Good luck with your game,
"alles gute für die zukunft".

Sorry to see you go, but work/life balance is important, and it sounds like your real job is challenging that balance all by itself. Thanks for all your contributions to the community over the years! Take care and good luck with the game launch!

My stuff wouldnt look as good without your post magic. I thank you for that.

Damn, I never saw this all those months ago.

I wish I was some sort of actual creator/mod-maker so I could properly empathize, but even so it's more than understandable. We only have so much time on our hands, and play turning into just "more work" always sucks.

Thank you for all the work you put in, particularly PostMagic! Good lord that one is nice.

Will miss you and THANK YOU sincerely for all of the work that you’ve done.

please stick around and definitely jump back in when 2x rolls out for good! Pass on the torch of answering the simple stuff to us new guys and if you ever develop some cool new gadgets we always appreciate you dropping them back here.

You always have been one of the absolute BEST!

😭 Thank you for all your hard work, amazing content and inspiration that you have provided for the VAM community. All your plugins & scenes have truly been a delight to explore. Personally your PostMagic & SuperShot plugin are everything to me!

This is sad news but the important things is that you take care of yourself, feel the sun on your face and have some fun!
Just know that you're work continues to make others happy ❤

Mac you will be missed and your legend will live on 👑

I appreciate your work, Macgruber!!! Focus on yourself first and foremost, and know that you are appreciated.

Thank you for all you've done. <3

I remember you helped me try to understand some stuff with Logic Bricks a while back, and my brain basically melted. It's completely understandable how much effort it took on your part to create all of these tools and then still have the passion and energy to answer questions and help everyone. It's unfortunate the feedback and appreciation for creating things for free is abysmal (as is a persistent issue for many of us), but know there are many who are very greatful for what you've done.

Your work has been a staple in most of my vam sessions & photoshoots whether it was postmagic or some other nifty plugin, and I'm sure many other are alike there. Thank you for everything you have done, I hope your future projects are successful; both privately and professionally.

Enjoy your life MacGruber!

You're right, "politeness" is not something everyone has.
Regardless, your contribution to Vam 1.X is unforgettable.

Finally,
I wish you a lot of fun every day ;)

Back
Top Bottom