Gen5 ssd vs Gen4 ssd

mikei9

Reactions
Hello All,

Building a new pc and was wondering if the speed gains in a gen5 ssd are noticable over gen4 when it comes to loading times. Anyone can share some experience?

Doubt you would even notice gen3 to gen5 regarding VAM loading times
Thanks. I've heard reports here of someone getting 100% faster loqd times moving from an ssd to nvme but I suppose the difference is much bigger there.

Yeah, there could be noticeable differences when you have different drives and connections. The NVME is possibly on the PCI-E lane while the SSD could be on a SATA connection and quite a old SSD.
Taking a similar drive and connection type comparison I doubt the generation difference would be noticeable for VAM loading times, but if you're copying files a lot you may see it.

The read write is going from 7k to around 11k on the gen 5s. Definitely not as big a jump as from ssd to nvme but still substantial. Whether it translates even a little bit in games, I guess we need to test them and see. I've seen nvme raid 0 setups as well but I don't know if the speed gains translate into loading.

If I were building a new system I would focus on spending less on PCI-E v5 compatible MB and gen 5 nvme and instead spend it on a faster CPU. A faster CPU (single thread speed) is something you can take advantage with VaM, no doubt. Those who use a lot of AI or plan to focus more on GPU VRAM.
If you also intend to copy a lot of files around, perhaps a gen 5 premium may be worthwhile, depends on your usecase. VaM wise I don't think it would matter much compared to other HW choices, but would be cool to have numbers and experiences from gen 5 owners for real comparisons.

If I were building a new system I would focus on spending less on PCI-E v5 compatible MB and gen 5 nvme and instead spend it on a faster CPU. A faster CPU (single thread speed) is something you can take advantage with VaM, no doubt. Those who use a lot of AI or plan to focus more on GPU VRAM.
If you also intend to copy a lot of files around, perhaps a gen 5 premium may be worthwhile, depends on your usecase. VaM wise I don't think it would matter much compared to other HW choices, but would be cool to have numbers and experiences from gen 5 owners for real comparisons.
Thanks. I am getting the 7950x3d which I've seen does well in the benchmarks. I may just go with Gen4 for now but was curious if the gen5s translated to a real difference in loading times.

Back
Top Bottom